weekly Liz's 52's for 2018 - Week 52 and Finished

Week 5 - Age(ing)

Three bottles of fine wine - or is it? We'll only know when we open them. The two each end are from 1985 and the middle one was a gift from a chateau owner where we worked for a few weeks in 1997 and 1999. Mr Badois said it had been in his cellar since the 1930s! It is described on the label as Cognac Fine Champagne Hors d'Age if anyone knows anything about it.

1 - P2100016 edited.jpg

Right on theme, and I like the composition and colours. I would have chosen a slightly wider crop, just so that bottle in the middle and the watering can on the left are entirely in the frame.

Hi Liz

I like the concept of your image for the theme, however I don't like the noise / softness of it.
I don't mind the dust on the bottles, its not that, if you look at the bricks and wood burner there is something there that does not look right to me.

Did you have problems with the exposure?

Pete

Hi seaodyssey, yes I had a hard time getting the light right and probably failed in the end, but it was the best I could manage. It is a dark room in the daytime with only one sunny window which insisted on creating shadows and reflections everywhere. Plus my camera is not the highest spec. So there we are. Sorry. Don't they say a bad workman/woman always blames his/her tools!

looks like ISO up in the 1000s o_O

... hope you're keeping those bottles lying down to prevent the corks drying out.

Hi seaodyssey, yes I had a hard time getting the light right and probably failed in the end, but it was the best I could manage. It is a dark room in the daytime with only one sunny window which insisted on creating shadows and reflections everywhere. Plus my camera is not the highest spec. So there we are. Sorry. Don't they say a bad workman/woman always blames his/her tools!

Hi Liz

Do you have a tripod, if not think about getting one, then you would have no worries about how long the shutter is open, If you like Landscape, spend a bit more on a really good one with a "head" you feel you could use. I have a geared head on mine, while heavy it allows me to get horizons level which I had trouble doing with a Ball and normal Pan and Tilt heads.

Pete

I like it, especially the dusty bottles, I think you could get away with making it slightly darker, a bit of vignetting may be.

Age - I like the dusty old bottles you have set a lovely scene

Week 6 - Sharp

It's 12 o' clock sharp
Not a great pic as the light kept getting in the way, but I've given it my best shot. Got a bit behind due to being laid low with the coughs and sneezes for a couple of weeks, so need to try and catch up.

WP_20180224_12_03_52_Pro - Copy - CopyEd.jpg

Week 8 - Thick

This is how I like my scones - with real butter on, thick and stuck up!

1 P2240002 (1024x700)Ed.jpg

Oh yes!!! Was waiting for someone to get a thick spread of butter in this week - how scones should be eaten, along with thick cream and jam of course.

Nicely on theme Liz

Hi Liz,

Sharp - Hits the theme. I think the face would have been better at say 3.00, or maybe the classic 10 past 10, but fair play getting a shot in while you were ill (I didn't even manage to edit and post the one I had this week due to feeling ill).

Thick - mmm Scones and butter, what's not to like. Not sure if it's the resolution I'm viewing at, but is it perhaps a little soft? Dunno... Might just be me.

Hi Liz

Sharp - great old clock showing its age, but 12 Sharp.

Thick - Nice Image that is good enough to eat.

Pete

Two clever interpretations (y)

The thick butter works best.

Sharp - Lovely old clock as Pete said, not bad given you have said that light was an issue and maybe have caused some issues with the sharpness.
Thick - yum yum I do like a nice scone or two, works for me.

Week 7 - Guard(ed)

It took me a long time to think what to do for 'Guard(ed)', until I had a sudden brainwave, but then I didn't know what to use for a dark background and, when I thought about my black paella pan, different light sources kept getting in the way - you see how we amateurs have to be inventive - so the background is still more grey than black and the white is a bit grainy!
So I'm going with Brrnd this week: 'Sharpness is a bourgeois concept.' Henri Cartier-Bresson

P3010010 Edited.jpg

Hi Liz,
Guarded - I have no idea what that is... I'd like to have seen a bit more definition in the cross on the white, er... thing. Some shadow perhaps. No issue with the grey background. Having it slighty lighter than pure black, + the small shadow, means that the 'thing' isn't floaty.
Abundance - Nicely exposed for the snow :) As you say, I'm sure we'll get a lot of snow shots for this theme :)

Hi Liz,
Guarded - I have no idea what that is... I'd like to have seen a bit more definition in the cross on the white, er... thing. Some shadow perhaps. No issue with the grey background. Having it slighty lighter than pure black, + the small shadow, means that the 'thing' isn't floaty.
Abundance - Nicely exposed for the snow :) As you say, I'm sure we'll get a lot of snow shots for this theme :)

Hi Tim, It's the blades which attach to my food processor, covered by a plastic guard. Yes, I take on board what you say about the cross - my husband mentioned that too - but just couldn't seem, to do any better.

Sharp - Good idea and very interesting clock face
Thick - Great idea, good composition and light, and edible props!
Guard - as Tim mentioned a bit more definition in the white cross would be nice, as I think would be a slightly lower PoV. As for the background, I've got a few large sheets of paper in various colours from my local arts supply shop which I'm using for most of my indoors shots.
Abundance - Nice wintry scene with an abundance of snow! Right on theme!

Guard(ed) - It works for the theme for me but I do find the background doesn't suit this image, and a shame that the processor blade is not a bit sharper.
Abundance - thats a very good image, snow is lovely and white and plenty to be seen by the looks of it.

Abundance - Nice image, out of focus items at front of image distract slightly.

Pete

Abundance is a lovely shot Mum, just those out of focus bits at the front detract a bit. There must have been a few bits of foliage nearer to you that sneaked into the shot. As your focus was on the lake in the distance it makes the closer bits out of focus. Hope that makes sense :D

Week 10 - Heavy

The Don Engine at Kelham Island (Sheffield Industrial Museums Trust.) I know there's too much light from the window, but there was only so much I could do to reduce it. And it is about the heaviest engine left around.

26 River Don Engine edited -_edited-1.jpg

Oh yes, I see what you mean. Hadn't really noticed it before!!

Abundance - Nice image, out of focus items at front of image distract slightly.

Pete

Abundance is a lovely shot Mum, just those out of focus bits at the front detract a bit. There must have been a few bits of foliage nearer to you that sneaked into the shot. As your focus was on the lake in the distance it makes the closer bits out of focus. Hope that makes sense :D

Cor, what a heavy Engine that must be, Engineering on a grand scale. You did well considering the large window.

Pete

Well done with the engine given the difficult light, good take on the theme.

Nicely kept expansion engine there, looks very similar to the ones at Kempton & Kew.
Gotta love heavy engineering :)
I don't mind the window. Other than going back on a different day, or at a very different time, there isn't much you can do.

Great take on the theme and as Tim says you gotta love heavy engineering.
Certainly not an easy shot with the light from the window which I think you have kept well under control.

I do like an engine - and that’s a fine subject for the theme :)

Back