weekly Liz's 52's for 2018 - Week 52 and Finished

Hi Liz, it's been a while since I looked in and I hope you're enjoying the new camera. Straight not only brings back recent memories of the Madeiran sunshine but is perfect for the theme with that strong line of the wall. Unattractive is definitely that, although I expect it looks a bit different now :) Shadow shows some good interplay between the bright sunshine and the patches of shade below, particularly the lines cast by the sunbeds, and Beautiful is very pretty and the white butterfly is a great catch (y)

Shadow - plenty of shadows definitely fits the brief.
Beautiful - White butterfly on white flowers but the butterfly stands out well, good capture

Week 19 & 20 - Match and Musical - I decided to go for a two in one this week. I think the organ pipes at Tadcaster Parish Church match and are musical! I think they are rather beautiful, it was a shame that it wasn't possible to get them straight on, but it just wasn't.

FullSizeRender1.jpg

Sizergh Castle is about 15 minutes from me but I haven't visited for years, must go. Nicely seen for the theme.

Match/musical , nicely decorated set of organ pipes good find for both themes

Interesting scene for low, nice find, a bit wonky-looking.

and the pipes ... nice find, again :)

I do like a good pig pic especially little ones. :agree: with Michael ... we don't need to see anything more than pigs and straw.

Hi Liz,

Low - An interesting selection of arches, as you say, there is a very low one. Good spot.
Have you considered playing with the transform / straighten tools? I'm guessing that there was not much space, so there is some perspective distortion, but you ought to be able to remove most of it is your editing software.

Match / Musical - Lovely colour / decoration on the pipes. A good find :)

Hard - Cool find for the theme :)
Critique / suggestion here would be to have moved slightly to your right if possible, the lose the pylon that's growing out of his back behind the signage. or if you wanted that direction, perhaps shooting from a bit lower would have had the same effect.

Creatures - Another one I can comment on - they are certainly too big to be creepy crawlies. ;)
I guess Michael and David are right about the removal of stuff around the edge, but not sure how you could have done it without cropping to the extent that others would ask why parts of certain piglets were chopped off. (No pork chop comments you there at the back!!! ;))

YAY Piggies! 'nuff said :)

Thanks LC2. I'll look at your comments again when I'm back home. Unfortunately I didn't know the words till later so had to look for things that might fit if I wanted to keep up with the challenges. I know, excuses, excuses........!

Last edited:
Hard - This is a nice shot. I like the fact that the guy at the front seems to be using manual tools yet the feller in the bg is wielding a chainsaw. I think I may have cloned out the pylon but its not a deal breaker for me.

Creature - Love a good piggy. Great details in all the straw and the pigs. The bin at the back could do with going though, just cropping out the bin and rear fence would do it.

Ross

Week 23 - Synthetic
Been away for a long time, so a lot of catching up to do. Here is the first of five....
They don't make lampshades like they used to do any more - nor birds it seems!

2018-06-12 13.51.40Edited.jpg

Week 25 - Bright

Bright by colour, bright by personality and what a bright performance! 'Blast Furness'2018-06-02 11.39.16Edited.jpg at Westmorland Shwoground

Week 26 - Elegant

Fit for a Queen, the drawing room on the Royal Yacht Britannia.

2018-06-08 11.54.51Edited.jpg

Week 27 - Derelict

Will he have 'earned' £17.50 for his night's lodging? - It's nearing the end of the day and he counts his pound coins to check before leaving his pitch by the bus stop on Princes Street, Edinburgh.

2018-06-11 14.53.42Edited.jpg

Bright - A little too much motion blur in this for me. Its certainly bright but the chopped up instruments ( the top of the sousaphone, and the sax's on either side) and the motion blur detracts from the brightness.

Elegant - This is nice, I like this. Well exposed but I cant help thinking you could have taken a shot closer so as to get rid of the rope in the foreground.

Derelict - Different to all the other derelict shots. A good take on the theme.

Bright - A little too much motion blur in this for me. Its certainly bright but the chopped up instruments ( the top of the sousaphone, and the sax's on either side) and the motion blur detracts from the brightness.

Elegant - This is nice, I like this. Well exposed but I cant help thinking you could have taken a shot closer so as to get rid of the rope in the foreground.

Derelict - Different to all the other derelict shots. A good take on the theme.

Yes, I agree with everything you say. Unfortunately, you can't always get to stand where you would like, as I'm sure you experience yourself, and sometimes I just feel I have to go with what I like compared to anything else I've got on the theme and accept the criticism! :bat:

Yes, I agree with everything you say. Unfortunately, you can't always get to stand where you would like, as I'm sure you experience yourself, and sometimes I just feel I have to go with what I like compared to anything else I've got on the theme and accept the criticism! :bat:
Oh, and happy birthday too :banana:

Elegant, certainly fits the theme and not an easy shot to get.

Bright, I think the motion blur adds to the atmosphere.

Derelict, well composed and a sad reflection on our times.

Week 28 - Home

We have quite a bit of wildlife making their home in our garden, but this is perhaps the most unusual. Well that's a shame. For some reason the photos size was unacceptably large even thought I reduced it gradually down to 800 and I wouldn't have thought it was any more complex than the one I have substituted. Perhaps someone can tell me what was going on. So this is my home, or the garden and the dormer windows at least instead.

RIMG0076Edited.jpg

Liz

Low
Thats a fancy place, arched cat flap. I find the angles strange. Do you use lens profiles in Photoshop?

Match & Musical
I don't feel you needed to be straight on. okay the pipes are slopping, but bottom shows that the image was level. Nice exposure and details.
I haven't been to Tadcaster for many many decades, my dad came from Harrogate and we went to his parents over summer holidays and used to go out on bus trips while there.

Hard
Chap behind is having it easy. In this photo it is difficult to see what is going on and he has a pylon stuck in his shoulders.
Exposure is good as is the colours.

Creatures
Bacon what is not to like. Sorry Nice picture of an essential part of our lives. Closer crop would be better.

Synthetic
You have one of those new fangled Synthetic light bulbs as well. On Theme but not inspiring me much.

Rural
It looks not level but may well be. You could crop the bottom off so that the wall starts in the bottom left hand corner.

Bright
It looks a bit flat to me, touch more exposure and more contrast would lift it. Hard to take under cover as not much light around and shutter been too slow. Appears the dreaded slope is there. Non of the vertical posts are, apart from the one hiding behind the saxaphonist and that one looks a bit off.

Elegant.
Well exposed and good DOF. Piano could be cropped out.

Derelict
He is and the surrounding area as well. Ok as a picture, on theme. He is a bit central. If you where over to the right and missed the shop window behind it may be better but I'm guessing.

Home
My wife would love your garden, rampacked filled with plants. I have told her she has run out of hole digging tokens for this and next year.
Image needs more contrast and saturation. A polorising filter could have helped and maybe improved the sky as well.

Pete

Hi Liz, a little catch-up from me.

Rural - a lovely scene full of fresh green colours, a high viewpoint and lines leading to the farm buildings in the middle (y)
Bright - I think this fits the theme in ore ways than one, and although we can't hear their music it looks as though it would be fun and as entertaining as the ladies themselves.
Elegant - an ideal location for the theme and full of interesting and elegant items. I can see you have had suggestions about other angles and ways to compose, but sometimes it's not possible to stand where we'd like or get the angles we want.
Derelict - a different take on the theme and sad to see, although it's good to see that they are keeping each other company . I hope he had enough money.
Home - I know you both spend a lot of time and effort in the garden and I'm sure it's full of life as well as colour. Nice to see :)

Last edited:
Hi Liz,

Bit of a catch up here eh?
Right...

Synthetic - That's quite amusing and saves collecting dust like a lot of lampshades do.
Obviously shot from below,. I wonder if there isn't a different angle in there too.

Rural - I don't do landscapes, so I'm not really qualified to comment. But a good find with the hedges working as leading lines, however, the sharp focal point looks to be the foreground bush to me, rather than the farmm buildings.
That said, I don't know how hyperfocal works, so I'm not one to comment on that really.

Bright - The do look like they are having a blast (furness) :) yes there is motion blur, but that is just part of the fun. I may have had a go at raising the shadows a little to get some detail into the black cothing (but then again, that may not work). Perhaps something to try with the original raw?

Elegant - Exposure looks good in the room, windows are a bit bright, but likely nothing you could do about that.
Things to consider. Perhaps a foot or so to your right would have made it symmetrical (but I dunno and that may not have been the look you were after). What software do you use to edit? the verticals at the edges are slanting (due to perspective), in LR/PS it's a 1 click fix.

Derelict - Ooh, the first rough sleeper I've seen for this theme (and this year in the 52).
As Roger says, a reflection on our society. it looks like you've captured him well without intruding.

Home - Good exposure, still some detail in the evidently bright sky. Nice use of the path to lead you into the image.
I may have considered taking the brolly down (as it's yours and you can ;) ) as the blue does perhaps overpower the white of the house?

ETA: Just been reading the above comments. Please don't see comments as criticism, it's meant as critique / suggestions / thoughts. The way you/everyone takes their images is completely up to the creator of the image. The comments are meant as suggestions of how we may have done things differently. Just because we might do thing differently doesn't make us right, just different.

Thank you all for your comments. I do appreciate your taking time to do so anD enjoy reading them. As I know very little about cameras and what to do with them, however, so much of what is said means next to nothing to me. I would like to know more but my retirement is nearly all taken up with other projects. Photography is just a nice relaxation and I try to compose my pictures and be creative in finding unusual subjects for the words within my limitations by looking at angles, straight lines, etc, before editing and posting. I should go on a course as I've recently bought a Sony a6000 but now find the zoom inadequate so need to buy one I suppose - when I have a spare thousand!! Thanks a lot though.

Hi Liz, Round,like the idea and fits the theme, feel the whites might be up a little high and personally I would of spot focused on the badge in the centre.

Home, love your garden, like the picture, I cannot tell where the point of focus is, are you uploading directly or from flickr would help to see the exif on some of your shots.

Thank you all for your comments. I do appreciate your taking time to do so anD enjoy reading them. As I know very little about cameras and what to do with them, however, so much of what is said means next to nothing to me. I would like to know more but my retirement is nearly all taken up with other projects. Photography is just a nice relaxation and I try to compose my pictures and be creative in finding unusual subjects for the words within my limitations by looking at angles, straight lines, etc, before editing and posting. I should go on a course as I've recently bought a Sony a6000 but now find the zoom inadequate so need to buy one I suppose - when I have a spare thousand!! Thanks a lot though.
I think you have a really good eye for a photograph and with an A6000 and a little help you could produce some stunning shots, I am sure some of the really good photographers on the 52 will help. If you could show what speed, aperture and ISO you are shooting at that would be really useful.:)

I think you have a really good eye for a photograph and with an A6000 and a little help you could produce some stunning shots, I am sure some of the really good photographers on the 52 will help. If you could show what speed, aperture and ISO you are shooting at that would be really useful.:)
Hi Roger
Thanks for your comments. You are very kind, as is everyone on the site. I thought the same about the whites, but when I toned it down it didn't seem to improve it much. My daughter, 'Missycat' is coming to stay for a few days in a week or so, so I will ask her to give me a lesson. I think she has a Canon, but I expect the setting names are the same. She might be able to help with Photoshop too.

Round is a good subject for the theme, bit of a shame about the inevitable 'elf'n'safety sign in the background

Liz

A difficult one you have here. Nice details on the wooden stand, but the white round bit is over exposed. The stand does not look vertical, but the horrid barriers behind are better. I can see some round portholes behind it, one looks like it has some brass but the other one doesn't they may have been a better subject???

Pete

Back