weekly Liz's 52's for 2018 - Week 52 and Finished

Week 31 - Short

Nor sure if it's a short-horn cow, but it does have short horns!

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

Last edited:
Cook. Smack on theme, and good composition, but it all looks slightly out of focus to me except the middle of the table.

Short, really like this, like the tight crop the focus is good and the composition and exposure spot on. Even the barn has a pleasing oof effect. Top Shot.

Cook is may be suffering from motion blur or too shallow DoF or a bit of both but no arguing with the subject for the theme.

Short is nicely done, good light and focus on the horn to emphasise the theme.

Both bang on for the theme Liz.
I have to agree with the focus comments for Cooking, I think it was missed, but is it one of those once in long while shots that you don't get to take again? If so, nicely timed :)
The close crop for Short really does emphasise the subject.

Hi Liz

Cook - seems to be mostly out of focus aprt from the knife and fork. But being in a motorhome/caravan with not a lot of light I would find it difficult to see what was in focus on the camaera screen myself. On Theme

Short - Much better, lots more details and dof is good. Nice looking cow with short horns.

Pete

Week 32 - Forked

Didn't realise I was so far behind!! Shouldn't go away so much, but here goes - a catch up.

2018-08-25 15.09.36edited.jpg

Week 33 - Refuse

A Clean-up day on the River Don at Lower Sprotborough - 4 tons collected in total!

2016-04-09 14.09.48edited.jpg

Week 34 - Dark

Reminiscent of the 'dark' days of World War 1 at Charlecote Park

2018-08-25 15.20.05edited.jpg

Last edited:
Forked, like it but the shadows are a bit dark.

Refuse, Sad bit of social commentary but good photo, spot on theme, 4 tonnes from such a lovely place disgusting.

Dark days indeed, great choice for the theme and a very evocative picture.

Splash, Love it.

Hi Liz

Forked, right on theme, just like mine. The lower part of the photo is a bit too dark, but I like the light on the leaves near the top.

Refuse, again on theme, and good work on collecting it all. I have been to the River Don and the Boat Inn just by there. I used to have a girlfriend who lived in Edlington many years back.

Dark, a very different take on the theme to what we have had so far, good thinking. It does make you think of the dark days of War. Exposure looks spot on.
It's not a big thing but for me there are many things going out of the photo, edge of table (left and right), chair and the top of the window.
I don't know the place but maybe if you moved to the left or right and took the shot at an angle you may have been able to get a better placing of some of the objects.

Pete

Spash - Really good capture, lots of splashing going on and that cheeky Heron hiding there as well. Is that near Lower Sprotborough as well?
You have not only caught up but are now well ahead of the rest of us.

Hi Pete, I live at Lower Sprotborough,behind the Boat Inn, so know the area well. Splash though was at Castleford's weir. Dark was taken in Charlecote Park's gatehouse, a v small room, hence no other view possible, especially with other people wandering around. Thanks for your comments.

Hi Liz,

Forked - On theme, but a bit dark for me.
Refuse - Hmm, Like the idea, but there is a bit much to take in. I *think* I would have gone in for a close up, perhaps on the left hand pile (looks like a boat to me).
Dark - Interesting to go for something that isn't literal :) Busy, but that's not a problem with this (probably as it's not overly dark). I would possibly recommend some straightening as the verticals do converge somewhat. Not much you can do in camera without a tilt shift lens, but PS/LR would sort it easily enough.
Splash - This is my pick of the crop (y) I do like a bit or dereliction, and the crane (I think) adds a little something to the shot. Splendid :)

Hi Liz.
Certainly on theme.
I can't help thinking that it perhaps needed a faster shutter speed, as there is a softness that I feel could be from motion blur?
That said, the light looks pretty challenging, so perhaps it's the best that could have been achieved?

Certainly on theme Liz and I like the composition, you can really see the effort the teams are putting in. I love tug of war and want to get in the picture and scream keep low! keep your leg straight! It is a pity it is a bit soft but I think the overall content makes it one of the better shots for the theme, IMHO.

Well done Mum, you have some really good shots for the themes. Sorry we didn't really get time for any lessons with the camera or software :( If you don't know what someone means just ask me or them and I am sure they will be happy to explain. Keep playing and enjoying though thats the important thing :D

Well done Mum, you have some really good shots for the themes. Sorry we didn't really get time for any lessons with the camera or software :( If you don't know what someone means just ask me or them and I am sure they will be happy to explain. Keep playing and enjoying though thats the important thing :D

Hi, went on a course on Saturday; just need to internalise what I was told now! And practice of course.

Some good pulling going on there!

Liz

Pulled, generally a good image, slighty marred by the weather, I think I can see a rain drop or 2 on the lens and overall some softness.

Pete

Well done for the catchup, Liz.

Art; nice pleasing colours but seem very noisy. Did you cropped a lot or used high ISO

Bizarre; well he/she is not the first, did Israel not won the Eurovision Song Contest some years ago and the singer was similarly dressed? :eek: Image-wise its similar to Art, either too close a crop or high ISO.

Hi Stan, Yes, Art was a close crop. I have lots of flower/plant photos, but they didn't always respond well to cropping. Having chosen one, I then had to do a screenshot to be able to save it. Perhaps there is a better way, but I didn't find it. Bizarre was done before on Eurovision, but it just seemed to fit the word last Saturday when I needed it. The male/female singing voice added to the bizarre-ness (is that a word?) It was taken from the TV and was much worse before I had a go at photoshopping it, it being covered in very visible lines, most of which I somehow managed to get rid of, but don't ask me how!

Week 39 - Wild

Cerastium arvense or Field Chickweed: a very delicate and pretty wild flower

P4190025 - edited.jpg

Hi Liz,

Art - With Stan here, nice colours, but a bit noisy. Interesting that you needed to screenshot it to get what you want. Sounds a bit odd, PS playing silly buggers?

Bizarre - For a shot from the telly, your processing has done wonders, I don't think I could have cleaned it up like that.

Wild - Best of the three, at least technically. Lots of complimentary greens and some yellows. (y)

Hi Liz

Art, seems soft was that the intention, like water colours, but nice colours.

Bizarre, very Bizarre submission, lucky I missed X-factor.

Wild, nice image, like the white against the green, all in focus and sharp enough for wild flowers. (not over sharpened).

Pete

Thank you all for your comments.

Re the Art screenshot, I found when I zoomed in on my computer on a photo I had already taken, that I couldn't find any way to save it. If anyone knows how I could have done it some other way, then I'd be pleased to hear it.

Bizarre - I thought it ended up reasonably well from the telly.

Wild - this was my favourite too. I was really pleased with its clarity.

Back