weekly Liz's 52's for 2018 - Week 52 and Finished

Who doesn't love that old stuff green with red trim? But it tends to be impossible to get close enough in a museum to concentrate on the interesting detail.

Week 11- Wet

It's not all fine weather in Portugal. We've actually had much worse here this week, but my husband took the photos of flooding as I didn't venture out to see it.

2018-01-05 13.53.55.jpg

Crikey Liz, You might as well be here!:D Nicely caught though(y)
Actually this wasnt this week in Portugal. It was when we were there for Christmas. I also meant 'at home' when I said much worse 'here' this week, but as I did say I didn't take any photos of the flooding here and I couldn't use my husband's could I? Going to Madeira tomorrow so might be late with the next couple of shots.

Hard work with light coming in like that, don't think you could have done anything different.

I was looking at this place the other day on the internet, what's it like to visit? Is it worth it? Might be interesting to take the children too.
Hi Michael, Yes it's interesting if you like that sort of thing and you don't live too far away. I visited it for a book I wrote on the 'River Don from Source to Sea' so it wasn't taken last week!

Sharp - good take on the theme and a lovely old clock too
Thick - Mmm yum nice thick butter good choice
Guard - as nothing to add to the comment so f others
Abundance - lovely shot the oof stalks in the fore ground are a little distracting but otherwise a lovely shot.
Heavy - Fabulous old machine quite heavy duty, great choice

Nice Shot Liz, clearly showing it's wet in Portugal and at the same time showing the area.

Pete

I've been soaked in heavy rain in PT before now and half an hours later blue sky brilliant sunshine.

Heavy - you just have to love and appreciate old machinery, cracking find and you did very well considering that big window.
Wet - bang on for the theme, looks just as grim as what we have had in the uk.

Just catching up with your thread again, Liz, and my recent favourites are the yummy-looking scones with the really Thick butter, the engine house for Heavy, where you've done well to deal with the bright light from the window and retain the details of the interior, and the sharp raindrops and outside details for Wet. I hope I don't see rain like that next week when we're off to Madeira! :)

Just catching up with your thread again, Liz, and my recent favourites are the yummy-looking scones with the really Thick butter, the engine house for Heavy, where you've done well to deal with the bright light from the window and retain the details of the interior, and the sharp raindrops and outside details for Wet. I hope I don't see rain like that next week when we're off to Madeira! :)

Hi Andrea, hope it's better than today for you. Been to Nuns Valley for the Easter Sunday parade and it's really chilly!

Hi Andrea, hope it's better than today for you. Been to Nuns Valley for the Easter Sunday parade and it's really chilly!

The forecast looks a bit mixed between sunny days and some with showers, but I'm looking forward to a change of scenery and seeing the flowers.

How are you getting on with your new camera?

The forecast looks a bit mixed between sunny days and some with showers, but I'm looking forward to a change of scenery and seeing the flowers.

How are you getting on with your new camera?

Some good, some not so good! Have learned how to download onto iPad with wifi which was great while we were in Madeia, but have no idea how to use any of the settings. Need some hands on advice methinks. Hope you have a lovely time. Loved your juxtaposition. Can't find my last two on the site for some reason!

Week 12 - Juxtaposition

Not sure what happened to my weeks 12 and 13 which I thought I had put on the other day - must be more senile than I thought! So, here is Juxtaposition which can be looked at in two ways: black and white or physical activity and cerebral activity.

DSC00102edited.jpg

I like the more subtle idea of brainy vs physical for juxtaposition, but you probably shout have shot that from higher and a different angle... but as it is it still works as black vs white (y)

In contrast i would say maybe go lower on the Juxta photo. Get rid of the strip of grass in the foreground.

Id be tempted to do the same for Oval. Get nice and close to the subject to get a bit of separation from the speakers and stuff in the back.

Hi Liz,

Juxtaposition - How very Portmeirion.. Is it? Nicely taken for the theme.
I'm pondering whether transforming the image to straighten the divergng verticals would improve or ruin it. Did you consider having a play in that area of processing?

Oval - There are indeed plenty of ovals, and it's more than just eggs, there is humour to it too.
As Ross says, a bit more separation might be nice (getting in closer may well have wrecked your composition), but no complaints from me.

Thanks for all the comments. I can agree with you all to a degree. Both shots were actually taken at Pestana Village resort in Madeira so not Portmeirion! Like all these things, one is often limited not only by lack of skill but location and finding possible places to stand; I was restricted by both. Re Oval, there was so much other technical stuff on the stage, it was hard to decide which angle to take it from - I tried several - and I obviously couldn't move anything.

Juxtaposition - you've got plenty in there for the theme, I like the physical versus intellectual activity thought behind it
Oval - lots of ovals there, Shame a bout the back ground but as you say not much you could do about it.

Week 14 - Straight

A straight wall on the new promenade in Funchall, Madeira.

Straight edited.jpg

Week 15 - Unattractive

I'm almost too ashamed to say this is part of a prize-winning garden, but it is. And I can assure you it will get better by judging time.

Unattractive edited.jpg

bit busy background in straight... :cool: but well on theme, that's a very straight wall. And unattractive is also right on theme, they've got a lot of work to do before it can become prize-winning again...

Thanks Susie and Bernd, yes someone will be working hard now the weather has improved - probably my husband!!

Hi Liz,

Straight - The wall certainly fits the theme. A shame it doesn't point towards that dingy (but I suppose it wouldn't, would it) as the tub is really the subject of the image for me.

Unattractive - Very much on theme. Lots of colour, plenty going on and quite handy to have it close at hand ;)

Unattractive

Yup, that's unattractive, I'm sure it'll look fine with a bit of a clear up.

Straight - lots of straightness right on theme
Unattractive - it is indeed unattractive you won't win any prizes with it looking like that.

Hi Liz
Juxaposition, Oval, Straight and Unattractive fit the theme.
Shadow, there are some but the light on the bush looks wrong. The sun is too the right in the picture and that bush should be in some shade, but it isn't. Must be something reflecting the sun back into it.
Beautiful, nice for the theme, perhaps a tad bit over exposed.

Pete

Hi Liz
Juxaposition, Oval, Straight and Unattractive fit the theme.
Shadow, there are some but the light on the bush looks wrong. The sun is too the right in the picture and that bush should be in some shade, but it isn't. Must be something reflecting the sun back into it.
Beautiful, nice for the theme, perhaps a tad bit over exposed.

Pete

Hi Pete
Have a look at Shadows again and see if that's any better will you? I've put the original in, which I thought might be a bit dark, but perhaps you're right. I was very undecided about which to put on when I did it. Liz

Back