Lobster Boat HDR

I'd like to ask, did you use HDR because you wanted this particular look, or was the scene very high contrast and it was the only way to get everything within the required tonal range?

I know the HDR look is anathema for many here (and you can't fail to have been aware of that too) and was interested what made you choose it.

Funny :) people will adjust exposure, clone out irrelevant stuff, clone in complete skies etc and that is all ‘fair game’ but show some folk a hdr ‘treatment’ and Eeek !o_O it doesn’t sit well at all. ‘ Vive la difference’ I say, variety is the spice of life. I like this image, it’s ‘in your face’ and it ‘pops’

Last edited:
Keep the HDR settings as low as you can, particularly "structure", or you will end up with halos and dark smudges around buildings and objects.

The only real HDR I tend to dislike is when people take a single photo make a couple of copies adjust the copies up and down the ev range then create HDR from that.

The only real HDR I tend to dislike is when people take a single photo make a couple of copies adjust the copies up and down the ev range then create HDR from that.
How can you tell from the final image that this method has been used rather than exposure bracketing?

How can you tell from the final image that this method has been used rather than exposure bracketing?

Not sure you could tell for absolute sure, but if there is moving stuff in the image, like water, flags, trees in the wind, cars, people etc, then bracketing won't work unless you do some cloning jiggery pokery.

I’ve seen worse HDR’s....

For me the horizon curves oddly and the inclusion of cars on the rhs don’t help the image, it doesn’t seem an image that needed HDR in the first place though.
I like the lead in lines:)

Last edited:
that sort of goes along the same lines as how do you know that the image is HDR in the first place. Or how do you know that an image is SOOC or edited. Unless its over processed then you pretty much only have the word of the photographer / editor and more often that not they won't tell you as its the output that they deliver rather than the process.

Thanks for all the comments, both pro and con - very informative.
As I said above there was no technical reason for creating this HDR image, I just liked the outcome, so perhaps my forum of choice should ideally be 'Photos : for pleasure'.
As my wife often says, I'm really trying !

I love this image ... like an illustration from an old children's book. HDR + wide angle distortion, keep at it Graeme, you've got something there. (y)

i like the technique but the subject is crowded out with too many other things...
could have been less fussy
cheers
Toady

Back