South-East England Locations in London

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for somewhere in the capital to shoot this Saturday morning at sunrise ! Any ideas please

Tower bridge has been mentioned by a friend

Have a look at The Photographer's Ephemeris, it will give you some good lines for the sunrise.

Dave

TPE shows sunrise would be behind tower bridge from City Hall alternatively it would also be behind the London Eye if shooting from Westminster pier. Havnt shot sunrise so cant give any direct advise

Yeah city hall would be a good line on south bank I reckon

Oh yeah London eye could be a good shout ! Thanks

Good shout !!!

TPE indicates you would need to be on the south bank, map shows a small jetty which if you got access to would put sunrise between the 1st two towers. Just whether you can get to the barrier easily on the southside from where you are.

TPE indicates you would need to be on the south bank, map shows a small jetty which if you got access to would put sunrise between the 1st two towers. Just whether you can get to the barrier easily on the southside from where you are.

There are barriers around city hall that ruined the location ....

Do you mean at the Thames Barrier?
I think the jetty you are referring to is locked up tight, so unless you want to climb a fence and risk getting stuck, you're restricted to the Thames Path.

Tower Bridge is an obvious one. But worth doing if you haven't before.
This was in November, so the sunrise was slightly further around, but it was taken from the City Hall side on the embankment.

Tower Bridge Reflection by Alistair Beavis, on Flickr

No the barriers by city hall looking across to tower bridge

I think we're getting mixed up.
@Cheffievrs said Thames Barrier,
then @Mark twiglet said "good shout"
then
Which is what I was responding to, ie following on from the Thames Barrier suggestion.

There isn't a "small jetty" on the south bank near City Hall, unless you're thinking of the access to HMS Belfast.

Not sure what barriers you're referring to at City Hall, are there some closer to the building?

I think we're getting mixed up.
@Cheffievrs said Thames Barrier,
then @Mark twiglet said "good shout"
then

Which is what I was responding to, ie following on from the Thames Barrier suggestion.

There isn't a "small jetty" on the south bank near City Hall, unless you're thinking of the access to HMS Belfast.

Not sure what barriers you're referring to at City Hall, are there some closer to the building?

Are you talking about the barriers put up after the terror Attucks to stop cars mounting the pavements?

There are two bloody great roll top handrails that curl around by city hall that I wanted to use as a lead in line to tower bridge .... but when I was there someone had put some Harris fencing up and a huge screen of some sort for entertainment and security guards around

Last edited:
IMG_2839.JPGIMG_2839.JPG

Ah, the curved rails, they do work well for leading lines.
Well if it's temporary fencing and an event screen (plus security) you'll either need to leave that location/shot till it's gone or scout the day before to see if it's still there. Are you able to scout the day before? If not you might risk having to run around to find another shot.
Good luck.

Back