Both good; I prefer the first because it has no band of blue sky, plus I like the way the reflections of some of the reeds leave the frame, as well as the tighter framing on the rhs.

Thanks - there is alas a hint in the first but cropping more made it even more awkward. The second is cropped awkwardly but I liked the cottage (it sits far out to the left out of the crop) at the time but it narks with me now but it was never shot to be cropped this way. Subsquent visits (as is often the way) have led to better compositions - I now shoot this further up the loch and out on a small outcrop looking deeper in = you do lose more of Blaven this way but it lines up nicer.

The first would’ve been fine if the reeds weren’t cropped, the second addresses that and has more breathing space, a better balance and a nicer sky. So number two by a long way.

Lovely colours and natural processing. You might not like this idea but the first I think needs to in tighter, lose that tiny band of blue up top and cut more of the reeds of just below the reflection of the top of the mountain. Then it looks deliberate and the numerous reeds shooting up out of the bottom of the frame along with a top heavy balance become lead in lines rather than lead out. Just an idea.

Lovely colours and natural processing. You might not like this idea but the first I think needs to in tighter, lose that tiny band of blue up top and cut more of the reeds of just below the reflection of the top of the mountain. Then it looks deliberate and the numerous reeds shooting up out of the bottom of the frame along with a top heavy balance become lead in lines rather than lead out. Just an idea.

And it’s not a bad one...

Back