Loch Lomand & The Trossachs: 3 moods

Edit My Images
Yes
I just came back from a nice little break in Scotland and came away with some images I'm really proud of. I've presented 3 of them here as 3 separate moods as I think they contrast together quite nicely. Comments, critique or feedback welcome :)

1. I had about 20 seconds of the rainbow plus light on the foreground before it all fell apart, so this one was handheld. Probably the pic of the three.

20180909-P9090047-2
by Andy Smith, on Flickr

2. A 6:00am start on our first night led to this shot. Although there wasn't any great light, I loved the low cloud draping across the trees - it was very serene. The yellow tree really gives it a beautiful accent.

20180909-P9091553
by Andy Smith, on Flickr

3. Any good light had disappeared by our 3rd day so I went full abstract with the black and white long exposure. The rocks lead the eye in to the poles and across the water. Unfortunately on reviewing the rocks are slightly out of focus...live and learn!

20180911-P9110090
by Andy Smith, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

I really like the last. It looks like two photos - one on top of the other. Very engaging.

Some nice shots there. I recently did a few days Photoshoot for BBC Countryfile in the Loch Lomond and National Park area which won’t be out till next may now so can’t show any images but I had the low lying mist 1 days and splitting sunshine the next- it can be unpredictable so you take what you can and when you can. Good images.

The second is my fave for the subtle colouring and pleasing way the image moves away from the viewer from bottom to top.

The first looks over-cooked to *me* with excess saturation to bring out the rainbow causing the foliage to look brighter & stronger than it should. If it were mine I'd dial the saturation back and then boost the rainbow only using a brush.

The final image needs to lose either the foreground rocks (better) or most of the trees & sky above. Yes, it's different, but it doesn't please me like it does some others.

Thanks for the comments all! Much appreciated. :)

Some nice shots there. I recently did a few days Photoshoot for BBC Countryfile in the Loch Lomond and National Park area which won’t be out till next may now so can’t show any images but I had the low lying mist 1 days and splitting sunshine the next- it can be unpredictable so you take what you can and when you can. Good images.

Definitely, it seems a lottery what you get from one day to the next!

I had pure thick low cloud when I was there in August, I’m going to have to go back :(

Do it, hopefully you will be luckier next time!

The second is my fave for the subtle colouring and pleasing way the image moves away from the viewer from bottom to top.

The first looks over-cooked to *me* with excess saturation to bring out the rainbow causing the foliage to look brighter & stronger than it should. If it were mine I'd dial the saturation back and then boost the rainbow only using a brush.

The final image needs to lose either the foreground rocks (better) or most of the trees & sky above. Yes, it's different, but it doesn't please me like it does some others.

Thanks for the suggestion, you've picked up on exactly what I was wrestling with on the 1st - the saturation isn't actually that high but it doesn't really need it. In fact this is already dialled back from an earlier edit! I will try what you suggest.

Re: the last one, my first edit actually had the rocks cropped out but I added them back after some feedback from family :). I'll see what cropping some sky looks like!

I actually think number two is the pick. The conditions in number one are great but you haven't quite been able to separate the tree from the background, nothing you could do but the tree isn't the most distinctive. Love the toning and mood of the second, the yellowing tree in the bottom right makes the composition. The only thing I might be tempted to do is clone out the telegraph wires.

Back