Critique Loch Long at Arrochar

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, very new to photography so any opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Took this while walking the Cowal Way in Scotland this May and have done a little PP in photoshop but don't really know what I'm doing!

Might not even get the linking to the file right, but here goes....no, that didn't work!

Pier on Loch Long by Earl Grey Rooibos, on Flickr

Last edited:
I really like the shot, great use of the light and conditions. To begin with I wondered if it needs all the space RHS but I can see why you included the swirl of fog and its reflection along with that negative space. PP improvements are limited to dust spot cloning (Use the clone stamp tool with a soft edge, CMD+Click a source point near by and paint them out). Also, you could try some selective noise reduction on the clouds to soften them. I'd also warm up the section of hillside that is catching the light in the BG a fraction...

Thank you Craig, very helpful suggestions, I'll have a go doing as you suggest- hadn't even spotted the dust!

Dark, moody, great light on the dock.
What's not to like? :)

The shot is around 1 stop or more underexposed. You can clearly see this in the histogram.

I also want to see a little bit more water down below. You may get away with blending in mirrored and blurred copy of the top the image.

Thanks, I thought about claiming I was trying to make the pier stand out against a darker background but actually that does look better as you can make out more detail in the trees

Back