Lochan na h-Achlaise

No 2 for me as the tonal range is loads better.
Lovely shot btw.

Second is just lovely.
So serene.

1st for me. The FG rocks in the second pull me direct to them every time, poss as they are quite dark and stand out very much against the more muted colours. The first is just surreal.

How I wish I was there, works getting in the way. Lovely shots, can almost feel the warmth. But, how are the midges? Hearing horror stories!

Thanks all - midges were present and correct. The biggest problem is they can leave smudge marks on a shot. A technique I teach in the field is to set the timer to 10sec, fire it and walk alway from the camera so the midges follow you rather than linger around the camera/filters - leaves a smudge free shot without fail.

Midges are annoying but if they are around it means 1. Its not cold 2. It's still.

I find shooting in the cold even more annoying because I hate being cold and tripod legs freezing up, misting up cameras/lenses is a bigger drag and I like the still weather for reflections and non moving grasses.

Compared to a trip to Australia (killer snakes), Florida (killer Aligators), Africa (killer jihadists, kidnappers, killer lions, tigers and diseases) and Paris etc (killer jihadists) midges are pretty tame beasts. I wouldn't give a moments thought to going out when there are midges other than the self timer trick and to wear long sleeves and trousers.

On the whole these were an utter delight to take and imho a summers morning or evening out in a place like this is the definition of heaven.

Last edited:
Thanks all - midges were present and correct. The biggest problem is they can leave smudge marks on a shot. A technique I teach in the field is to set the timer to 10sec, fire it and walk alway from the camera so the midges follow you rather than linger around the camera/filters - leaves a smudge free shot without fail.

Midges are annoying but if they are around it means 1. Its not cold 2. It's still.

I find shooting in the cold even more annoying because I hate being cold and tripod legs freezing up, misting up cameras/lenses is a bigger drag and I like the still weather for reflections and non moving grasses.

Compared to a trip to Australia (killer snakes), Florida (killer Aligators), Africa (killer jihadists, kidnappers, killer lions, tigers and diseases) and Paris etc (killer jihadists) midges are pretty tame beasts. I wouldn't give a moments thought to going out when there are midges other than the self timer trick and to wear long sleeves and trousers.

On the whole these were an utter delight to take and imho a summers morning or evening out in a place like this is the definition of heaven.

I agree re the cold! Nice tip on the midges and timer, unfortunately I react badly to the bites so I tend to need full body armour. Here in Azerbaijan we have snakes, wolves and caucus sheep dogs (which are more vicious than the wolves) in the hills. Haven’t found a good sheep dog repellent, though my mate carries a can of mace around with him in case we meet something!!

I agree re the cold! Nice tip on the midges and timer, unfortunately I react badly to the bites so I tend to need full body armour. Here in Azerbaijan we have snakes, wolves and caucus sheep dogs (which are more vicious than the wolves) in the hills. Haven’t found a good sheep dog repellent, though my mate carries a can of mace around with him in case we meet something!!

Are you allowed to carry rifles and guns?

The wolves and dogs sound utterly terrifying - I hate dogs at the best of times.

I’m off to the Pyrenees later this year and there’s talk of bears in the national parks. There’s not many but it puts you off venturing too far off the beaten track.

Here we have it so good it’s unreal. It’s so “safe” and easy to enjoy these great views without a worry in the world. I had a workshop client from Australia casually tell me that the banks of loch Tulla would be a snake trap were it in Oz.

Are you allowed to carry rifles and guns?

The wolves and dogs sound utterly terrifying - I hate dogs at the best of times.

I’m off to the Pyrenees later this year and there’s talk of bears in the national parks. There’s not many but it puts you off venturing too far off the beaten track.

Here we have it so good it’s unreal. It’s so “safe” and easy to enjoy these great views without a worry in the world. I had a workshop client from Australia casually tell me that the banks of loch Tulla would be a snake trap were it in Oz.
You can carry guns, and in the mountain villages every household has one. On a trip last summer our host was most insistent we tried out his shotgun!! And they showed us the video of skinning a wolf they shot in the village recently. I look forwards to going out for photography when back in the UK and not having to think about these things.

You can carry guns, and in the mountain villages every household has one. On a trip last summer our host was most insistent we tried out his shotgun!! And they showed us the video of skinning a wolf they shot in the village recently. I look forwards to going out for photography when back in the UK and not having to think about these things.

The worst here are the midges. You might be able to carry a little pocket fan, any mild breeze and they're off. Your pictures are good though, it's a fascinating landscape over there.

Midges look at me like Oliver Reed looked at a bar. After the first bite mark it will seem to subside then re-appear 24 hours later and stay as an itchy lump for a week. Still nice pics but I'm going to wait until Autumn.

Midges look at me like Oliver Reed looked at a bar. After the first bite mark it will seem to subside then re-appear 24 hours later and stay as an itchy lump for a week. Still nice pics but I'm going to wait until Autumn.

Ha this was me after an evening. Mine just subside after a day, no thing really.

Autumn is mega for sure. No argument from me there

IMG_1089.JPG

Nice pictures. I prefer the second one! Ouch those midge bites... have you tried smidge??? Works a treat for me... they still annoy me but don't bite half as much!

Awesome, what Steve does best.

I know the second is balanced still, but I really think the first works better. If you look at it for a while to let your eyes take in the serenity there is a lot there. My eyes goes straight to the little bush reflected in the middle then move around from there.

Awesome, what Steve does best.

I know the second is balanced still, but I really think the first works better. If you look at it for a while to let your eyes take in the serenity there is a lot there. My eyes goes straight to the little bush reflected in the middle then move around from there.

It’s my favourite two. It’s my favourite type of landscape the simple 50:50 and I enjoyed the challenge of avoiding foreground in the composition.

To be honest unless the foreground is especially interesting or plays an active of bringing the composition together I’m quite happy to compose without any in it all. The distant view and mountain plus reflections were the reason to come here, not some close up rocks. The second shot the rocks point to the tree which is on the other side of the frame to the mountain. It creates a nice diagonal pointing effect in the frame which is why they were included rather than cropped out on a 2:1

It’s perhaps what I do best because it’s what I like to do the best. Sure I take other types of pictures but they’re second best to me and I take them usually if I can’t get reflections. Nothing quite gets me out of bed like the promise of low wind and still water. Sure I could do more seascapes but truth be told if I never saw the sea again I wouldn’t be that sad. If I never saw a lake with a mountain reflected in it I think my life would end. This is really what I want to do.

It ain’t no thing. A slight itch that was gone a day later. A small price to pay to be near still waters when it’s lovely lush and green.,

Delightful shots as usual Steve. I would love to see you shoot some pics in Torridon and the west side of Sutherland. They would be something special.

Last edited:
Delightful shots as usual Steve. I would love to see you shoot some pics in Torridon and the west side of Sutherland. They would be something special.

I have. Every time I pick a still sunnyish day to go I’m either greeted with wind, or dullness and never the combination of light and stillness I want.

I’m off to the Alps, Dolomites and Pyrenees for my big trip this year

I have. Every time I pick a still sunnyish day to go I’m either greeted with wind, or dullness and never the combination of light and stillness I want.

Good luck - I hope it goes well :)

Pick me up on your way past would you Steve. I'd pay half the fuel, but then my wife would probably hurt us both when we got back so maybe not. Joking aside, I'm doing the Dolomites next year, but am longing to return to the Pyrenees. Looking forward to what you get from there...

Pick me up on your way past would you Steve. I'd pay half the fuel, but then my wife would probably hurt us both when we got back so maybe not. Joking aside, I'm doing the Dolomites next year, but am longing to return to the Pyrenees. Looking forward to what you get from there...

The Dolomites/Alps are spectacular but a lot of the best views have been spoilt with ski lifts, hiking paths etc. I spent ages composing to hide a ski lift in the Alpe Di Siusi and the view of Seceda is marred with a trail across the ground. This year I’m going to the Rolle Pass, back to Lago Di Braise and Lago Carreza and maybe Alpe Di Siusi but I got a good haul there the last time.

The Pyrenees are less spoiled imho. I love them. I’ve been twice before on the French side but I’ve got a few Spanish lakes lined up this time and a few others. 11 weeks to go.

Back