Critique Loco details

Edit My Images
No
On a recent visit to the National Railway Museum rather than trying to photograph complete locomotives I went for some small sections.
I'm not what you would call a railway enthusiast and although I've lived in York for 50 years this was my first visit to the museum (how disgraceful!).
Any comments, good or bad, would be gratefully received.
Thanks

Cab 1.jpg Detail 1.jpg Detail 2.jpg

Last edited:
On a recent visit to the National Railway Museum rather than trying to photograph complete locomotives I went for some small sections.
I'm not what you would call a railway enthusiast and although I've lived in York for 50 years this was my first visit to the museum (how disgraceful!).
Any comments, good or bad, would be gratefully received.
Thanks

View attachment 139653 View attachment 139654 View attachment 139655

no 3 for m3

do you know what all the connectors do on that no 2 view
all very well thought out...eccentrics and valve linkages and adjustments to stroke
i worked on ships steam engines and sat for ages just watching all the bits quietly doing their thing with a little box of oil dripping the lube in

Last edited:
So very nice shots, I believe the last 2 are Evening Star.

With such big objects close to detail shots are often the best way to get something and the copper piping in the last one contrasts well with the black.

Thanks Geof and Mark.
I enjoyed my first visit to the museum and found the engineering details fascinating even without recognising much more than the wheels! So another visit is on the cards for later.

no 3 for m3

do you know what all the connectors do on that no 2 view
all very well thought out...eccentrics and valve linkages and adjustments to stroke
i worked on ships steam engines and sat for ages just watching all the bits quietly doing their thing with a little box of oil dripping the lube in

The large bars connecting the wheels are called coupling rods or side rods, they drive the wheels. The wheels have counter weights on them to balance the angular motion.
The connecting rod is at the front and comes directly from the piston. The other angled rods operate valves, gears and go under various names such as eccentric rods, reach rods,
crossheads, radius rods, etc. The two parallel bars are the reversing slide guide bars, operated from the cab with a lever or wheel and screw.
This is over simplified and differs from loco to loco.

Last edited:
Cracking images by the way, and agree about the museum!

Thanks for the explanation and compliment Barry.
I’m sure I’ll eventually get my head around what all the components do, but until then I’ll just marvel at the quality of good old British engineering!

Thanks for the explanation and compliment Barry.
I’m sure I’ll eventually get my head around what all the components do, but until then I’ll just marvel at the quality of good old British engineering!

Well I volunteer at the ELR in Bury, Lancs and you tend to pick up the odd bit of info about the loco's!
Always had an interest in railways and loco's, picked up when i used to accompany my Uncle at the local
coal yard where he was the shunter. Grew up on bacon butties al la coal shovel and tea with condensed milk in an enamel brew can!
Totally agree about the British Engineering too!

The large bars connecting the wheels are called coupling rods or side rods, they drive the wheels. The wheels have counter weights on them to balance the angular motion.
The connecting rod is at the front and comes directly from the piston. The other angled rods operate valves, gears and go under various names such as eccentric rods, reach rods,
crossheads, radius rods, etc. The two parallel bars are the reversing slide guide bars, operated from the cab with a lever or wheel and screw.
This is over simplified and differs from loco to loco.

TMW_677_-_Triple_expansion_compound_steam_engine.jpg

almost the same principals in this...isle of man job..LP cylinder 100 inches diameter

steam was great!!

almost the same principals in this...isle of man job..LP cylinder 100 inches diameter

steam was great!!

Still is!

Still is!
need to keep my eyes open for some of those road machines driven by steam...
actually even nuclear power stations produce steam..!! you are right!!
and ships run on steam turbines...
do you go to a loco renovation place...i went to one near eastbourne recently..
and
my home town in bo'ness, scotland has something along those lines..
cheers
geof

need to keep my eyes open for some of those road machines driven by steam...

Try the Dorset Steam Fair at Blandford Forum, pleanty of steam there!

Last edited:
do you go to a loco renovation place...i went to one near eastbourne recently..

Yes, probably the most famous, Rileys Bury/Heywood. They did the latest reno on the Flying Scotsman.
I don't volunteer there though, I'm at Bury Station in the booking office.

Yes, probably the most famous, Rileys Bury/Heywood. They did the latest reno on the Flying Scotsman.
I don't volunteer there though, I'm at Bury Station in the booking office.

:):)
been to bury a lot when i was hiding in irlam
most memorable visit was a tram journey..straight forward...irlam eccles picadilly and onwards...

the return journey
the tram service was broke so we were herded onto buses
our bus broke down near the manchester arena...waited and got another...it got us to shudehill
then another tram to picadilly...and then to eccles..but from eccles to irlam
i was never so glad to see a fish supper as that day...got it from a chinese takeaway..
:D:D:D

Apologies to Kieth for taking over his thread! Sorry mate!

No probs.
I’ve learned something about steam engines plus a bit of some foreign language. Not bad for one day! :)

ma apogeez tae, paul
upyerkilt

Back