London Evening Photos for Critique

Please let me know your thoughts and how i could improve.

Maybe post them in your thread… just to make them visible!
Like many members, I hate to click and have to register so
much that I don't click anymore!

Maybe post them in your thread… just to make them visible!
Like many members, I hate to click and have to register so
much that I don't click anymore!

I was trying to but for some reason it wouldn't let me. Keeps failing or saying I don't have permission to view.

If you search the forum, I know there
are some instructions somewhere! :cool:

DSC_0054.jpg

Not so much a long exposure but liked it and thought it'd look ok with high contrast.

Nice shots.

My only comment would be that the shard and surrounding buildings which I assume are the subject of the photo aren't in focus or the camera moved. Was it on a tripod? Don't think it was camera movement as the pebbles in the shots seem to be sharp and in focus.

Thanks mate. A tripod was used and was pretty solid. I think it may have been due to the AF trying to pick up something. I manually set the Shard in focus then as soon as I used the remote I could hear the camera hunting for something to focus on. Is there a way to stop this on a lens that doesn't have a AF off switch.

Yes I thought it was that....its the AF hunting and then focusing on the nearest object......does it have a manual override?

Or set the AF to single point and focus on the subject when you set up.....its not going to move....! :) Whats the camera and lens combo?

It was a d3300 with a kit 18-55 f3-5.6( I think). Waiting for d610 to arrive. I set it up focused on the shard but as soon at I use the remote for the shutter it tries to AF again on the centre. Looking back I could have moved the AF point. That would have probably worked *sigh*.

View attachment 106239

Not so much a long exposure but liked it and thought it'd look ok with high contrast.

This is my favourite. The others are good, but this is different. This is street cultural, which feels more like the London I know.

I'm no expert but I hope you don't mind me sticking my oar in! Leaving the focusing issues aside, in my opinion the Shard shot is a bit "so what". Most of the frame is taken up with a blank sky or with pebbles. However I think the Tower Bridge shot is brilliantly composed, with a dramatic sky and warm light, and you haven't been tempted to over-process. I would correct the verticals, though, as it looks like the bridge is leaning.

It was a d3300 with a kit 18-55 f3-5.6( I think). Waiting for d610 to arrive. I set it up focused on the shard but as soon at I use the remote for the shutter it tries to AF again on the centre. Looking back I could have moved the AF point. That would have probably worked *sigh*.

Yes that works.....

I'm no expert but I hope you don't mind me sticking my oar in! Leaving the focusing issues aside, in my opinion the Shard shot is a bit "so what". Most of the frame is taken up with a blank sky or with pebbles. However I think the Tower Bridge shot is brilliantly composed, with a dramatic sky and warm light, and you haven't been tempted to over-process. I would correct the verticals, though, as it looks like the bridge is leaning.

Not at all. We are all here to learn. Thanks for your comments on the Tower Bridge photo. I was really chuffed with how it came out. I see what you mean about the shard shots. I was rushing a bit when taking these as I was right down on the bank and didn't want to get told off lol.

Back