London Underground

Too many to comment on but great series.

Not a bad set..

I could have been driving those Northern Line train shots! lol..

Great pictures.
I love Urban Photography and the only downside to living in Cornwall its all scenic and no underground :D

I'm off to London soon. Are there any photography restriction in the underground?

Like these a lot!

I assume transport Police and/or security didn't give you any trouble?

Thanks, no, didn't get any problems from the police/security. I took the shots as we were traveling around so I wasn't walking around just taking pictures.

Apparently so, I just found this:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/5225.aspx

When my friend was stopped in 2008/9, they kept ranting on about terrorism and stuff, seems it's more to do with making money though.

Makes me like these images even more though :D

Thought the same as the impression I get is that London underground are not keen on photographers. There's quite an active thread on problems with railway photography here http://railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17241&highlight=problems+photographing

when undertaking any railway photography use of flash prohibited as it could blind or be a distraction to those manning trains or in the vicinity of the tracks

so the OP was fortunate in that either he was not spotted, or moved on before a member of LUL staff caught up with him.

does the same apply to the surface lines as there is a possibility of steam operating between Harrow & Amersham later this year

I wasn't hiding my camera and lots of staff saw me openly carrying my camera in my hand. I suppose it depends what mood they're in and if you're being a pain in the arse.

You only need to look on flickr to see how many people take pics on the London Underground, maybe I was lucky!!!

What did you use for some of the longer exposure shots? Surely not a tripod?

Some really nice shots in there, my favourite is the series of posters.

The first one's great but a touch slanted maybe.

And I really like the first colour one of the train coming in as a blur.

There's a lot of good ones though!

The first one's great but a touch slanted maybe.

And I really like the first colour one of the train coming in as a blur.

There's a lot of good ones though!

Think you might be right about the first, thanks for the comment!

London Underground allow photography, they dont like FLASH on the platforms (Nor do i!)

They dont like tripods, The underground is a busy place and can be dangerous, so tripods on a platform is a no no..

If you want to photograph in a station you can always ask the supervisor, he may give you permission, but the stations are woefully under staffed these days so might not allow you to extensively photograph.

You can contact the Film Office, you can get a permit to photograph on the underground, this will allow you to have a small group or team on a station (with the supervisors permission) and MAYBE a small tripod on the platform (I could be wrong there)..

Of course there are also the terror worries that may stop you getting permission or they may ask you to stop taking pics.. but unless you are photographing everything in sight im sure there will be no problems..

Back