Lonely tree in the Peak District at sunset

Name
Andy Gilbert
Edit My Images
Yes
As this little spot is only 10 mins from my home I have attempted it a few times but never quite got the light / sky, however after a rushed visit the other night & arriving with about 5-10 minutes to spare I am pleased with the results. Just cant decide on landscape or portrait. The portrait was taken about 10-15 minutes after the landscape and light had changed quite a lot inthat time.
Beeley-tree-1.jpg

beeley-tree-2.jpg

Thanks

Very nice. I especially like 2. I wonder about your framing though - the interesting sky seems to be more to the left and you have cropped into the pink rays.

Thanks, believe it not the sky wasn't that much more interesting, i do have one further left but decided against it. The other issue is although it appears to be in the middle of know where, a road, wall and odd bushes start to creep in to the left.:banghead:

Last edited:
I like both as they are different enough to be stand alone shots. The portrait one would make a cracking magazine cover.

The other issue is although it appears to be in the middle of know where, a road, wall and odd bushes start to creep in to the left.:banghead:

Typical. I spend a lot of time in Italy and they are remarkably keen on running hideous electricity pylons through areas of outstanding natural beauty. I agree with Graham - the second shot is a magazine cover in waiting.

Top one for me Andy, but I do agree that the bottom one would make an excellent magazine cover.

Last edited:
I like them both, the first would look nice on a wall and the second on a magazine cover

Typical. I spend a lot of time in Italy and they are remarkably keen on running hideous electricity pylons through areas of outstanding natural beauty. I agree with Graham - the second shot is a magazine cover in waiting.
ditto for Ireland. Bloody electricity cabled all over the place. Rural Ireland was electrified in 1946 and since then no-one had quite got round to burying the cables

The top image is better composed as a photo, with the clouds giving lead lines. I agree that the second would be an excellent magazine cover.

I like both, but my personal preference is for the first one as it appears to have the colours from the ground reflected in the sky and the portrait shot loses a bit of that magic with the less colourful clouds higher up the shot and the slightly less saturated sky lower down.

Both have there individual appeal, but I think its really down to application as both are very nice. On the wall I think the landscape would be the killer shot but as mentioned above the portrait would make a excellent cover shot.
Dramatic colours and a beautiful location(y)

IMO the first one's about the sky and no. 2's about the tree, both work very well.

Back