Critique Long-eared Owl perched, same site, different bird?

Edit My Images
Yes
@den That's a great spot to stand Den, cheers (y)

Whilst stood waiting for the LEO's to appear this evening along the tree line, expecting it to be around 50/70 yds up the field, I couldn't believe me luck when it flew from the trees , no more than 15 yrds to my left, perched on a post and posed for a few shots.

I'll be honest, light wasn't bad but the bird was slightly underexposed, I had to lift it just a bit in ACR but contrast between the dark b/g and the bird has helped.

Worked in two layers, one for the bird and one for the b/g and a little cloning to remove an oof post that was to the left as we look at the shot

Been looking at your shots Den and think this could be a different bird but we do know there is at least three up there (y)

As with all my shots, crit most welcome, thanks for looking :)

Long-eared Owl posing for the camera! :) by Phil D, on Flickr

Looking good Phil...its a good spot as you have a four to one chance and if you persevere you may get the nearest one
Problem is its hunting on higher ground as i stayed and watched after dusk .

Looking good Phil...its a good spot as you have a four to one chance and if you persevere you may get the nearest one
Problem is its hunting on higher ground as i stayed and watched after dusk .

Cheers Den

Last 3 times over, I've been up on the top. There's a couple of really good vantage points where you can see most of their hunting area, even the field the other side of the road...........and typically, twice that's where they've been!

Great to find it and have it pose for you!
Look forward to seeing more good results from your efforts :)

Great to find it and have it pose for you!
Look forward to seeing more good results from your efforts :)

Thanks Roger :)

Me and another chap off here, Dan, have been following these since Feb......... but talk about unpredictable! :D

Around 2 months ago, they actually changed roosts to one around a mile away from the first. This time last year I followed 3 breeding pairs of Leo's, this year there's been no sign of breeding making their hunting habits harder to predict. According to the local birders I speak to, its all down to vole population for this year not being good and they'll happily miss a year from breeding.

I suppose we should be very happy they're hunting in daylight, after all, they are a nocturnal bird and from what I learnt last year, only hunt in daylight when they have young to feed :)

Back