Long-eared owl

Edit My Images
Yes
Typical South Pennines weather yesterday evening, lovely blue sky, then thick dark cloud 20 minutes later :banghead:

D500, Sigma 150-600c

1/1250th, f6.3 ISO 4000 @600mm

All C&C welcome, thanks for looking

Long-eared owl by Phil D, on Flickr

Very nice Phil! Can't say I've ever seen one of these...

Thanks Si.

We're very fortunate round here, its perfect habitat for Long-eared, open moor land dotted with plenty of conifer plantations.

Nice - despite the high ISO :)

Les

Thanks Les......... ISO 4000 high? Not for a Nikon body ;):LOL:

Thanks Si.

We're very fortunate round here, its perfect habitat for Long-eared, open moor land dotted with plenty of conifer plantations.

Thanks Les......... ISO 4000 high? Not for a Nikon body ;):LOL:
OMG here we go:p......................I gotta say I so knew that was coming.:banghead:............................:LOL::LOL:

Leg pulling aside I do love seeing these summer owl images Phil, you are a lucky lad to have these about especially breeding ....any ideas how they are dong yet this year Phil?

take care mate lovely seeing these again

stu

OMG here we go:p......................I gotta say I so knew that was coming.:banghead:............................:LOL:

What! :whistle::angelic:

Leg pulling aside I do love seeing these summer owl images Phil, you are a lucky lad to have these about especially breeding ....any ideas how they are dong yet this year Phil?

take care mate lovely seeing these again

stu

Many thanks Stu :)

Being late back to them Stu, I'm still trying to catch up but there's been two males out hunting, taking voles back to nests, so its looking promising at this site for 2 pairs.

The young hatch around middle of May, with the dry warm spring I'm presuming they're on track. One nest's in a private garden ( lucky &%&$£'s :LOL:) the other is in a large plantation.
The owlets should start to branch in next two week, that'll give an indication as to numbers.

I've a feeling it'll probably be low in general, voles seem a bit hit and miss this year, small populated pockets doing well with areas lacking. We've no nesting shorties reported this yet this year which is unusual but gives an indication voles are in short supply.

I've visited another 4 sites, 2 sites look promising for 1 breeding pair each and 2 sites with no sign, still a few more to check

atb Stu, stay safe matey, cheers, Phil

Buddy thanks for the above,I feared for all our owls on the back of last winter and hold to the same view of patchy vole populations too. Keep us posted please bro. I'm so thrilled you are able to get back to them I can't help but want to know how they are doing. What must it be like to have LO nesting in one's garden. I guess lockdown is easier. ;) Shame about the shorties Phil

I didn't realize you had so many sites locally, mate, fascinating !!

you take care too bro

ha saint Phil:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back