Long-eared owlet

Edit My Images
Yes
The warm, dry weather and high vole population has seen this years local Long-eared owls hit a record high for nest sites with at least 14 for around 36 owlets, which is excellent news.

3 owlets at this site, taken back in June, on a warm but breezy evening..

D7200, Sigma 150-600c

1/640th, f6.3, ISO 5000

All C&C welcome

Long-eared owlet by Phil D, on Flickr

Last edited:
What a wonderful opportunity Phil and great to hear they've been successful. Very nicely captured and presented, sharp as needs to be and that glare down the lens makes the image. I hope you get to photograph them on the wing soon.

The warm, dry weather and high vole population has seen this years local Long-eared owls hit a record high for nest sites with at least 14 for around 36 owlets, which is excellent news.

3 owlets at this site, taken back in June, on a warm but breezy evening..

D7200, Sigma 150-600c

1/640th, f6.3, ISO 5000

All C&C welcome

Long-eared owlet by Phil D, on Flickr
Nice to see another successful brood Phil
Missed spending time with these birds really enjoyed it last year

Jees it's so cool hearing of something that has done well mate !!. All credit Phil shame about the landscape fetish,been nice to have some feet :eek::p.(ok virtual feet :D) I 'm pulling ya leg mate love it. Buddy those eyes the way they are lit,just fab

thanks buddy lovely to hear of the success and lovely to see you got to them again

stu

super Phil I would be chuffed with this

What a wonderful opportunity Phil and great to hear they've been successful. Very nicely captured and presented, sharp as needs to be and that glare down the lens makes the image. I hope you get to photograph them on the wing soon.

Thanks Dale

I like the way this image shows off the killer eyes in the fluffy juvenile face. These beauties are high class predators out of the egg :)

Thanks Jan, they do have lovely eyes

Nice to see another successful brood Phil
Missed spending time with these birds really enjoyed it last year

Yes, its been a perfect year for the owls Den, not just the LEO's but Shorties and Barnies too, the voles round here have been running around ya feet walking the moors.

I've not spent owt like as much time on the LEO's year, the pair I took you to last year didn't breed in the same tree this year but there was an extra pair at a site around 5 miles away, maybe/hopefully, it was those that had moved.

I've been helping out on the local recording side last few months so photography has taken 2nd place but I've been to a lot more nest sites, which I've really enjoyed.

Super shot the eyes are stunning

Thanks Gary

Brilliant work and great news Phil

Thanks Kev

Very nice, the eyes have it! They make it a killer shot!
TFS

Thanks John

Jees it's so cool hearing of something that has done well mate !!. All credit Phil shame about the landscape fetish,been nice to have some feet :eek::p.(ok virtual feet :D) I 'm pulling ya leg mate love it. Buddy those eyes the way they are lit,just fab

thanks buddy lovely to hear of the success and lovely to see you got to them again

stu

Thanks Stu, agree, shame about not being able to see the big fluffy feet ......and yes, you know me too well mate, it would still have been in landscape ;):D

super Phil I would be chuffed with this

Thanks Jeff

Last edited:
Yes, its been a perfect year for the owls Den, not just the LEO's but Shorties and Barnies too,
Too true Phil...
I have been watching and bear in mind this is in a very small area the Kestrel,Little Owl and the Barn Owl all bring in field mice and voles with the occassional Shrew..
Like yourself i have done more watching this year particulary enjoyed watching the Barn Owl raise 4 young and feeding regular,got a few shots tonight for a change though..

Back