Long Exposure Monochrome!

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Really into my mono this year and been hunting around locally for things to shoot. Their are a couple of jetties on the river Teign I knew about from my fishing days, so decided to have a crack at one last night.

The background on the jetty doesn't make for a good shot so I have using a couple of previous skies I have shot.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Gs6qtd]
[/url]

Not sure that the sky works so well in the first one, since the black line on the horizon makes it look like a joint between 2 images. In #2 there is no such line on the horizon and the sky looks more in keeping with the rest os the scene, so that's good. Wondering how #2 would look with the jetty finishing/starting in the bottom right corner instead of out in the water?

Not sure that the sky works so well in the first one, since the black line on the horizon makes it look like a joint between 2 images. In #2 there is no such line on the horizon and the sky looks more in keeping with the rest os the scene, so that's good. Wondering how #2 would look with the jetty finishing/starting in the bottom right corner instead of out in the water?
Thanks for the comment, horizon line doesn't bother me as they are artistic impressions and I like the drama the darker sky gives. Possibly should of posted the in the creative section instead.

Really like the first mate - the sky IMHO isn't an issue at all.
The second needs a 'sky'!

Nice work Neil.

Really like the first mate - the sky IMHO isn't an issue at all.
The second needs a 'sky'!

Nice work Neil.
Cheers Neil, I toned down the sky on the second just to give its different feel to the first. Certainly not as impactful as the first but still quite like it's more muted feel.

Love the first one Neil, although I'd have maybe toned down the sky a hair (but I'm probably the last person to be telling people to tone down mono's given the last ones I posted) definitely has alot of impact though.

I like that the second one doesn't start in the corner, bit different. (y)

Nice creations but unsure if these should be in this section seeing as they are so heavily manipulation.

Number 2 for me is very good.

Love the first one Neil, although I'd have maybe toned down the sky a hair (but I'm probably the last person to be telling people to tone down mono's given the last ones I posted) definitely has alot of impact though.

I like that the second one doesn't start in the corner, bit different. (y)
Thanks Stuart

Nice creations but unsure if these should be in this section seeing as they are so heavily manipulation.

Number 2 for me is very good.
Thanks Paul, I did contemplate them going in the creative section, but there have been a lot of photoshopped landscapes in this section lately so left it here!

The only manipulation is the switching of the skies from older shots with a bit of added radial blur.

Last edited:
Not sure if there are any rules as such, I think its down to if the picture is intact but photo shopping happens then its still a complete picture, even cloning out the odd cow also.
I think combining pictures as you have though moves it to a created image. I don't think its an issue but for people just browsing picture and not reading your text it might seem confusing.

Not sure if there are any rules as such, I think its down to if the picture is intact but photo shopping happens then its still a complete picture, even cloning out the odd cow also.
I think combining pictures as you have though moves it to a created image. I don't think its an issue but for people just browsing picture and not reading your text it might seem confusing.
All depends on peoples opinions! Personally I think using any photoshop tool outside of ACR or LR (apart from sharpening) then the image becomes a artistic representation and was not captured fully in camera. At least I have made it clear what I have done so don't see how there can be any confusion???

Last edited:
Stunning!!

The first is my fave, would make a very classing looking print in the right setting!!

Matt
Thanks

Been meaning to get here for a couple of years but haven't quite made it yet....Really need to start making more time..
It's only 20 mins away with the new road in place! Was a little annoyed there was a hideous yellow boat on the other jetty, was intending to shoot both.

Ooooh, really like these Neil, just my type of shot.
If its the one I think it is, have been meaning to try it at sunset, though possibly still a little early in the year yet.
I possibly have the wrong one though, looks in better condition than I remember ???

number 2 on this is absolutely superb, love it.
Thanks Mark

Ooooh, really like these Neil, just my type of shot.
If its the one I think it is, have been meaning to try it at sunset, though possibly still a little early in the year yet.
I possibly have the wrong one though, looks in better condition than I remember ???
Cheers Steve, yeah still too early for sunsets there, and yes it's been renovated.

I really like the first image, nice drama in the sky :)
Thanks Sarah

Both superb shots.
I'm getting more and more into mono this year mainly because of my IR converted Panasonic G1.

The second one needs a fisherman sitting on a seatbox looking concerned :D

Terry.
Cheers Terry, just had my D7000 converted to 720nm, love it so far!

Cheers Steve, yeah still too early for sunsets there, and yes it's been renovated.

Ah that makes sense, not quite so much character now, but still works well for a long exposure.
Nice place for a drink on a warm summer evening too ;)

Love both of them mate ... the sky makes the first one IMHO gives some drama to the jetty.

Think Second could probably have no clouds and work really well :D

the first image is class, love the effect it has had on the wood making it look extra sharp and detailed, great processing too, right up my street

No.1 is an absolute belter mate. Perfect composition of the jetty leading you into what looks like the source of the cloud movement. Horizon doesn't bother me at all either, its a great interpretation and edit of the scene. No.2 for me isn't quite as strong, Think i would have preferred the jetty to be nearer the bottom right corner. Great work though. I always look forward to your LE images :)

No.1 is an absolute belter mate. Perfect composition of the jetty leading you into what looks like the source of the cloud movement. Horizon doesn't bother me at all either, its a great interpretation and edit of the scene. No.2 for me isn't quite as strong, Think i would have preferred the jetty to be nearer the bottom right corner. Great work though. I always look forward to your LE images :)
Thanks Gavin. Yeah i know what you mean about the second starting in the corner, just wanted to be a little different from the shots I've seen at this location.

Nice shots. I prefer #2, it looks more natural. In the first the sky doesn't fit i think.

I think it would make an interestin composition if a slight higher tide and water was shown at the bottom of the image too.

No1 is an absolute classic. I think everything has all ready be said so I wont bore you with my 2d;)
Excellent texture in that timber really sings.

Love them both. Don't think I would have noticed the 'join' in the first if I hadn't read your description first. i think it would be less obvious if printed than on screen. Second is gorgeous though.

Nice work

I love these style of pictures. It's on my list of one to get for myself.

Love them both. Don't think I would have noticed the 'join' in the first if I hadn't read your description first. i think it would be less obvious if printed than on screen. Second is gorgeous though.

1st one for me. Love the lead in and impact with the sky.
the 2nd is just another B&W long exp for me, the 1st is something different, something special.

Thanks guys, much appreciated :)

Back