Long Exposure Seascapes | Isle of Wight

Name
Amanda Herbert
Edit My Images
No
My lovely sister bought me a B+W 10 stop filter which I have been playing with all week! Lots of mistakes including a long exposure of 20 minutes (doh) and going out for the day without a battery in my camera (double doh). Lots to learn too.

Here are my 5 favourites and the rest can be seen here.

#1 - I had managed to delete a whole set of 17 images by accident and had to reshoot the whole lot. I'm tickled pink that my second attempt came out better than my first due to different weather and my practice session the day before!

Long Exposure_Xmas 2011-11 by M@ndy, on Flickr

#2 - you can see a magenta smudge in the middle due to not having a lens cloth - the result is a smear caused by my woollen mits. I'm pretneding it is part of the image!

Long Exposure_Xmas 2011-13 by M@ndy, on Flickr

Long Exposure_Xmas 2011-7 by M@ndy, on Flickr

#4 - I'll admit to cheating in photoshop as I couldn't get the right angle between the pipe and the outcrop - I shortened the pipe to suit my tastes.

Long Exposure_Xmas 2011-4 by M@ndy, on Flickr

#5 - Not necessarily the 'best', but this was my first image taken with a ND8 before I opened my presents! I did straighten all the horizons, but those pipes do tend to lean!

Long Exposure_Xmas 2011-2 by M@ndy, on Flickr

I know my processing won't be to everyone's tastes, but I do tend to be 'cinematic' in my processing. Thanks Mandy

Nice set Amanda. I particularly like the last two, especially #4, but I find the vignetting on the first three a little too much for my tastes.

Love number 2 and 3, well theyre all great! but I especially love the subtle colours in these! Cracking set of shots! :clap:

davekiddle +1 nice shots

I like #3 best because of the colour, vignetting is a little much for me as well but I do think they added a bit more ''atmosphere'' to the image!
Lovely set, sea side long exposures are always magical. :D

I really like the impact of the colour photographs and I think the vignette adds to the mood.
They are all really nice

Thanks so much for all the positive feed back - this is only my second post & I was expecting some degree of critique!

I did a print test on one of the images and I'm shocked that you were right about the vignetting!

Below are more light hearted piccies taken with instagram - my other addiction.
#1 insta

Untitled by M@ndy, on Flickr

#2 insta

#3 insta - here you can see I'm underexposing all my RAW files (by accident).

New toys to play with by M@ndy, on Flickr

#4 insta

#5 insta - suffering for my art!

Christmas Morning with wet feet by M@ndy, on Flickr

Thanks Mandy

Good work with the first set - I would be pleased with those results!

Hi all,

I thought I’d share my workflow and see if anyone can pin point where I am going wrong?

I tend to share lots of ideas which you can see here: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m@...Q&biw=1600&bih=721&sei=WgoCT4ydPImu8APnwLycAQ

First is the before and after:

ScreenShot002 by M@ndy, on Flickr

#1 – using curves for each part of the image

ScreenShot001 by M@ndy, on Flickr

#2 – using doge and burn to emphasis each part of the image

ScreenShot370 by M@ndy, on Flickr

#5 – secret ingredient – using the render effect to emphasis different parts of the image

ScreenShot368 by M@ndy, on Flickr

#6 – desperately using the zone system to ensure I hadn’t ruined the image!

ScreenShot369 by M@ndy, on Flickr

#7 - I had to print my final image twice to ensure I hadn’t over done the vignette

Long Exposure | Bembridge by M@ndy, on Flickr

... I did straighten all the horizons, but those pipes do tend to lean!

apart from the most important one in No 5. :LOL::LOL:

Final pic is looking nice

Back