B&W Long exposure skyscapes

i think they are pretty cool.
how long was the exposure and did you have to stick on some sort of filter?
Also how do they look in colour? not that I think they would be any better with colour I'm just curious?
Exposures were 2 mins and 30 secs I believe. Both shot with a 10 stop filter. They look a bit meh in colour to be honest. The Monochrome bring out the clouds

good techy stuff...why the house in the picture..
i think its quite interesting despite you having to get the clouds going like that
perhaps a more racy static main focal object
a sports car or works superbike
best of luck
cheers
geof

i think its quite interesting despite you having to get the clouds going like that
best of luck
cheers
geof
Just adds a bit of other interest, and I was there anyway so why not? [emoji4]

Just adds a bit of other interest, and I was there anyway so why not? [emoji4]

What I see is an interesting sky, not giving much away to classical architecture..
It's your party and I will cry all the way home

Cheers
Geof

Wow great northern light shots! ;-)

No seriously i like two, great clarity in the building, nice sky, nice tonal range. Clouds draw an escape point to the left of the building which works well with the composition. I like it.

The first isn't B/W....not loving the green caste at all.
Love to see it given the same treatment as #2.

The first isn't B/W....not loving the green caste at all.
Love to see it given the same treatment as #2.

OK here's the first without the split toning:
18381-1497775460-30a53cb28e754599d4373864b58dc09b.jpg

best of luck
cheers
geof

Just for you Geof, Lord and Lady of the Manor:
18379-1497775443-826f868bf8d8e840ed96c5f993ddf0b6.jpg

The first one is better without the green tinge to it. The trees to the right spoil it a little being a bit mushy but that's going to happen with such a long exposure. I love the sky in it. The 2nd image is the better of the 2, I really like that. It's a very simple image but has some very good drama. Long exposures are something I'm dabbling with, I have a Cokin Nuance 10 stop and if I could get skies like these with it, I'd be happy. (y)

The first one is better without the green tinge to it. The trees to the right spoil it a little being a bit mushy but that's going to happen with such a long exposure. I love the sky in it. The 2nd image is the better of the 2, I really like that. It's a very simple image but has some very good drama. Long exposures are something I'm dabbling with, I have a Cokin Nuance 10 stop and if I could get skies like these with it, I'd be happy. (y)
Thanks Dale. Picking the right day weather wise is the key - a windy day with white fluffy clouds coming towards or going away from the way that you need to face to get the shot. Although I'd never been to this location before, I had this kind of shot in mind before I went because of the weather forecast for that day.

Just for you Geof, Lord and Lady of the Manor:
18379-1497775443-826f868bf8d8e840ed96c5f993ddf0b6.jpg

that is a stunner David...the sky i guess is not long exposure and is quite vivid an seems to emanate from the building..wonder if there is treasure there
cheers
geof

ps
the history of the building and its first owner is quite interesting..

Last edited:
Back