Long Exposure Sunset Photos

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have been meaning to experiment with long exposures using ND filters for a while now, last night I went to Otmoor in Oxfordshire to get some long exposure shots of the water/reeds. Unfortunately there was no wind whatsoever but as I was thinking of leaving I noticed an amazing sunset developing. Attached is my best shot and the original photo which I have edited by reducing the tint, bringing out the shadows a bit and a little sharpening.

I would appreciate some constructive feedback on this image. I stacked 3 ND filters giving about 6 stops and the image was an 13 second exposure at f/11. I think stacking the filter created quite a warm cast so I have toned it down a bit - but the sky was pretty incredible. The IQ isn't great due to the filters but would like to know what you think of the composition and the technique I used.

Many thanks

Tom

otmoor_noedit (1 of 1).jpgotmoor_edit (1 of 1).jpg

If there was no wind then the water would be flat calm already I'd think. Also no real cloud movement so a long exposure is not really necessary here.
I know you wanted to try long exposures out but these aren't the conditions when they are needed (to smooth out moving water and show cloud movement).
A shorter exposure without all the filters would produce very similar images probably with better IQ.

Hi Marie,

Fair point, although there was a bit of movement on the water I do see what you mean. The posted image is very poor IQ as I didn't realise my RAW-JPEG settings on Lightroom were set at low quality - it does look a lot better on my computer screen promise!

What about the overall composition, colours etc?

Thanks

Tom

I've no real issue with the composition of either, though the first is more pleasing to my eye.
The colour though, the overwhelming pink, doesn't work for me at all.

Hey Ruth,

I should have been clearer they are the same image, the first is unedited RAW and the second is my edit. Interesting you prefer the first!

I do know what you mean about the colour, but that is how it was!

I think the use of filters although ND may have put a bit of a 'warm' cast on, I suppose there's no way of knowing for sure? I'm guessing it's a problem with long exposure/sunset photography that the colours can be warped and then manipulated post processing (I didn't do that) and you can lose sight of what the actual original scene colouration was

Tom.

I think the use of filters although ND may have put a bit of a 'warm' cast on, I suppose there's no way of knowing for sure? I'm guessing it's a problem with long exposure/sunset photography that the colours can be warped and then manipulated post processing (I didn't do that) and you can lose sight of what the actual original scene colouration was

Tom.

No "MAY" about it, the filters have added a very warm (magenta) colour cast to the image. This is amplified when you stack ND filters together.
Use as few filters as you can as a general rule. This will help to keep the colours as realistic as possible and reduce the loss of image quality.
For this shot, a 3 stop ND and a 2 or 3 stop Graduated ND, would have given you a much better result.
If you want to do long exposures, you would be better investing in a cheap 10 stop filter, there are several available for under £10.
Even a variable ND would give better results than you have here, but there is a bit of a learning curve to understanding how to get the best from them.

Back