North England Looking for a Kingfisher - Cheshire.

Edit My Images
No
Hi all.
I have a few days of work this week and am looking for a location to shoot kingfishers.

I’ve heard a few people talk about the River Weaver / Northwich area, but im not keyed up on that area at all.

I’m based in Altrincham and happy to travel a little if needed.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Anth.

I think Kingfishers can crop up in the most unlikely places, we had a pair in the harbour in Barry in South Wales, they also had a young one. Unfortunately one flew into the Barry Dock lifeboat window, and another into the lifeboathouse window, both killed instantly. Very strange for this to happen, maybe glass is a no no to Kingfishers. Or they may have been chased by seagulls which become very territorial when breeding.
They are rare, and I know the area you are talking of very well as I was brought up near Northwick. I do think unless you follow a bird watchers forum you maybe looking for a needle in a haystack. You definitely need to follow a genuine lead of some description.

Parking up at the Leigh Arms on the A49 (which is no more than 10 minutes from the M56 J10) will put you on the Weaver. Someone once told me they saw Kingfishers on the river whilst on the footpath that goes down towards the Dutton viaduct. If you park up at the Leigh Arms, put your back to the pub and face the river, turn right and walk. They've done a fair bit of work on the river there though, and it's a far cry from what it was 5 years ago. New footbridges and moorings which I guess will have some effect (I know nothing about wildlife). It was a while ago that it was mentioned to me (I can't remember who it was!) so take it with a pinch of salt.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/dutton+viaduct/@53.2804137,-2.6147433,14.27z (no idea if this link will work!)

It's a nice walk though, and if you continue on past the Dutton Locks to the viaduct it starts to get pretty rural. (cross the river at the lock) I've spend quite a bit of time down there trying to get a decent image of the horse bridge and the view is quite nice from the new footbridge.

Also paging @Mr Perceptive who I know is local but who I don't know if he knows 'owt about birds.

Back