Looking for a new printer

Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
hello everyone.

I am seeking your experience and advice please.

I like to print my pictures out.

I currently have an Epson wf-3520 printer which is really classed as a home office printer. It does do photographs and the quility of the output (to me) seems good. The stated resolution is 5760 x 1440 dpi

I would like to print them a bit larger to maybe up to A3 size.

So I was looking for a dedicated photo printer that can do up to A3. And I found an epson xp-960 but even though it's a photo printer the resolution is the same as what I have. It just prints up to A3.

Would this give me better quility printouts as it's a photo printer? I'm thinking not as the resolution is the same.
Is the printer with upgradeing to? Is it any good?

What good recommendations would you give for a printer that can do up to A3 or A3+

Please remember I am an armature and can't afford really expensive equipment.

Thank you for your help , time and advice.

It's not so much about the resolution. Most printers will claim similar, if not not the same print resolutions.

The quality will come from the type, quality and quantity of the inks and colour gamut. You will get a much better quality print from a printer sporting 9 or more individual ink colours than you will from a printer with 3 for example. I'm sure there's a bit more to it than just inks, such as print head technology etc.

The Epson SC-P600 is a well regarded A3+ printer costing £500 but the resolution is the same as yours.

It's a bit like camera megapixels. More isn't always better and a 20mp DSLR is always going to perform better than a 20mp camera phone.

I use the printer mentioned above, but if you let us know what sort of budget you have then people will have an idea of what to recommend.

Last edited:
Thank you for your explanation , that does make sense. my budget is around £250 ish. Up to £300 at push.

The epson xp 960 caught my eye as it was on sale for 179.00. Which uses 6 inks.

I've also seen a cannon pixama ip8750. For £200.00. Witch stated 9600 dpi (which after your explanation i know won't make much differnce)
that also uses 6 inks But I've never used canon before . It's also wifi only so apparently you can't plug it in.

I have seen the printer you mentioned , id would like that one but my budget can't streatch that far unfortunately.

I have the Canon ip8750 and it most definitely has a USB port for plugging in. I use mine wirelessly as I have too many cables on my desk without the printer as well.

I have had/used Epson R300, R800, R1900 and ALL have suffered the same fate 'Gloging of the print head' I have just bought a Canon ix6850, cheap printer to try a differant brand and thus far the prints have been excellent (calibrated monitor, and Printer) as have the nozzle checks. So and OMO have a look at Canon. Russ

I would never buy another Epson printer I've had quite a few that work fine for a while and then just have clogged heads.

Canon for me now.

The new epspn P series printers gave improved inks to prevent clogging. Touch wood I've never had to clean my heads even after 6 weeks of non use, it printed perfectly first time.

I have the Canon ip8750 and it most definitely has a USB port for plugging in. I use mine wirelessly as I have too many cables on my desk without the printer as well.

Oooo that's handy to know, thank you. I was going by a review left on amazon. That said it was a good printer but lacked a way to hardwire it and sometimes dropped the wifi. I'll put it back on my list of maybes then :)

I have the epson Xp-950 the previous version to the 960. I havn't had any problems and the 6 ink colours do a good job. I use ILFORD galerie prestige photo paper with it the smoth gloss

I use the wireless connection and obviously not as quick in communicating with the computer as a cable connection, but does allow the printer to be placed in a convenient position leaving desk space free
A set of ink cartridges can be a bit expensive so a continuous ink flow system may be better if doing a lot of photo printing. It doesn't take kindly to 3rd party carts (may not work) so best stay with Epson brand

Last edited:
I have had/used Epson R300, R800, R1900 and ALL have suffered the same fate 'Gloging of the print head' I have just bought a Canon ix6850, cheap printer to try a differant brand and thus far the prints have been excellent (calibrated monitor, and Printer) as have the nozzle checks. So and OMO have a look at Canon. Russ

I would never buy another Epson printer I've had quite a few that work fine for a while and then just have clogged heads.

Canon for me now.

On my Epson I'm always changeing inks as one of them just suddenly stops working even though it's still half full. I try running the cleaning cycle but it dosent seem to make any difference , I just end up,changeing it.

I thought it was something I was doing wrong. And IS REALLY ANNOYING. At least I know it's not me now.

Iv'e had the Epson 9600 + 9900 and I now have the Cannon IPF8400, the Epsons just clogged constantly!! Go with Cannon!

I have an Epson R1400, which is getting on a bit now, in fairness to it. It was great to begin with, gave me what I thought were great prints but as I got more critical over the years, it started to fall short. It's also very, very rubbish at mono prints. Modrn Epsons should be better though.

Based on this, my next printer will be Canon, the ip8750 more than likely as it seems excellent value for money and a friend of mine has the model below it and he loves his. He should know, he's an SPF print gold medalist. I also like the fact you can pick Canon ink for it up at Tesco.

The Canon Pro series are very good by all accounts too.

Back