Looking for help with an upcoming Scotland trip.

mex

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I am planning on visiting the highlands ,staying in Grantown for 3 nights the end of April 2022 (hopefully). I deally I would really like to photograph divers, grebes, black grouse, crested tit ,red squirel etc but I am realistic enough to realise getting everthing is rather unlikely. Would anyone happen to know of any decent sites for these species? PM me if you would prefer, any information would be appreciated and of course treated in the strictest confidence.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Not exactly the Highlands but Alan McFadyen's hides near Kirkudbright would'nt be too far off your route. I've been 3 times now and the Sparrowhawk hide will get you varied species, you'd be virtually guaranteed Red Squirrel there. Black Grouse and Crested Tits are more your Cairngorms area. There are varied paid hides up that way too. Speak to Mark at Pennyhedge, that's more Highland area than Alan's.

I think I'd concentrate on just 1 or 2 species, you'll have a better chance of nailing them that way. To be honest, a paid hide is probably your best bet for such a short stay.

Not exactly the Highlands but Alan McFadyen's hides near Kirkudbright would'nt be too far off your route. I've been 3 times now and the Sparrowhawk hide will get you varied species, you'd be virtually guaranteed Red Squirrel there. Black Grouse and Crested Tits are more your Cairngorms area. There are varied paid hides up that way too. Speak to Mark at Pennyhedge, that's more Highland area than Alan's.

I think I'd concentrate on just 1 or 2 species, you'll have a better chance of nailing them that way. To be honest, a paid hide is probably your best bet for such a short stay.

Thanks for that, but Grantown to Kirkcubright is 4 1/2 hours according to google. Penny Hedge looks very interesting, I think I'll probably end up with a day there.

Grantown to Kirkcubright is 4 1/2 hours according to google.

Sorry, I thought you might be passing nearby. Mark at Pennyhedge is a good bet. (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: mex
You might well be ahead of me on these but have a look at the

Insh Marshes(about 25 miles south east near Kingussie) https://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves-and-events/reserves-a-z/insh-marshes/

and

Abernethy National Nature Reserve (about 10 miles south near Nethy Bridge) https://www.nature.scot/enjoying-ou.../abernethy-nnr/abernethy-nnr-visiting-reserve

and

Cairngorms National Park https://cairngorms.co.uk/discover-explore/wildlife/

I know nothing about this site but as you have limited time perhaps a guided tour might be useful, eg - https://www.grantownonline.com/listings/speyside-wildlife/

The car journey from Inverness is quicker and shorter but the drive from Aberdeen via the A939 is superb, assuming the road is open. I drove it a few years ago in June and it was a white out around the ski centre at Lecht.

Dave

Loch Garten is good for woodland birds including Cresties. You could try Neil Mcintyre he has hides to rent www.neilmcintyre.com. The staff at the Grant Arms hotel are very good for advice, you can go there even if you're not staying there as it has an RSPB info centre and has very good library.

Hi there,

I stay in Grantown. I have my own hide set up in a secluded corner of Anagach Woods which is good for red squirrel, most small birds (the occasional crestie) jays, and a hunting sparrowhawk. I also have pine marten visiting the feeders through the night and I'm looking to get a camera trap set up for these. Anyway, you are more than welcome to use this when you are here, free of charge, of course! There are a couple of black grouse leks locally, as well as numerous red grouse you can shoot from the car. If you're staying at the Grant Arms Hotel, they have affiliated guides who would probably point you in the right direction (might cost you tho). Here are a few squirrel shots from the hide. Iain

Hide 010321-2 copy 2.jpgsq1 copy 2.jpgsq2 copy.jpgFlyer copy 2.jpgSquirrel 3 090221 copy 2.jpgsquirrel 1 090221 copy 2.jpgsquirrel 3 copy.jpgHide 010321-3 copy 2.jpg

Hi there,

I stay in Grantown. I have my own hide set up in a secluded corner of Anagach Woods which is good for red squirrel, most small birds (the occasional crestie) jays, and a hunting sparrowhawk. I also have pine marten visiting the feeders through the night and I'm looking to get a camera trap set up for these. Anyway, you are more than welcome to use this when you are here, free of charge, of course! There are a couple of black grouse leks locally, as well as numerous red grouse you can shoot from the car. If you're staying at the Grant Arms Hotel, they have affiliated guides who would probably point you in the right direction (might cost you tho). Here are a few squirrel shots from the hide. Iain

View attachment 310937View attachment 310938View attachment 310939View attachment 310940View attachment 310941View attachment 310942View attachment 310943View attachment 310944

Wow, thanks for the offer that's very generous of you, we will probably take you up on that!

I am planning on visiting the highlands ,staying in Grantown for 3 nights the end of April (hopefully). I deally I would really like to photograph divers, grebes, black grouse, crested tit ,red squirel etc but I am realistic enough to realise getting everthing is rather unlikely. Would anyone happen to know of any decent sites for these species? PM me if you would prefer, any information would be appreciated and of course treated in the strictest confidence.

Thanks.

I envy your anticipation and at present it largely is down to the state of the lockdown in Scotland. Will there be accommodation open where you will be able to stay. Will there be places open where you can eat. I am not very hopeful of being able to move around easily until the lifting of all restrictions in mid June. Even though I live only 40 miles south of the border I will not be going over into the borders until then.
As far as I can make out even travelling that far in England will be at the least 'questionable', there are only so many £200 fines my pocket can stand.

No, we will fly into either Aberdeen or Inverness and hire a car there.
If you fly to Aberdeen, Troup Head on the Aberdeenshire coast is a top location for Gannets
Bullers of Buchan, also on the Aberdeenshire coast is great for seabirds such as Puffins, Kittiewakes, Fulmars, Shags and if you are lucky, our resident pod of Bottlenose Dolphins.
Newburgh Beach is good for Eiders (theres even a King Eider that locals call Elvis but I've never been lucky enough to spot him yet) and thousands of seals

Hi there,

View attachment 310937View attachment 310938View attachment 310939View attachment 310940View attachment 310941View attachment 310942View attachment 310943View attachment 310944
We often go to Grantown on Spey with the motorhome (we live in Aberdeen)
I may look you up the next time I'm there if thats ok.
Friends of my step-daughter live there (Annike & Mark)
No trip to Grantown is complete without Pie & Chips from Craigs Bar - Robbie Rules!!

Getting to travel to Scotland in April will be the biggest challenge :)

Good luck with that-

Les :)

I envy your anticipation and at present it largely is down to the state of the lockdown in Scotland. Will there be accommodation open where you will be able to stay. Will there be places open where you can eat. I am not very hopeful of being able to move around easily until the lifting of all restrictions in mid June. Even though I live only 40 miles south of the border I will not be going over into the borders until then.
As far as I can make out even travelling that far in England will be at the least 'questionable', there are only so many £200 fines my pocket can stand.

Should have probably added in my initial post 2022. ;) I've edited it now.

Last edited:
Are they not checking at Airports if your journey is necessary, or is that international flights only.

(Mind you if the fragrant Nicola has her way that may be the case in the future)

Taking this a step further (But ever so slightly off topic) on the English side of the border between Jedburgh, Carter Bar and Wooler are a number of farms which are 'land locked' at the end of blind valleys in the northern Cheviots Hills, where their only access to shopping and markets is via roads from their farms that have to pass though Scotland, I wonder how they managed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back