North England Looking for information on Dunham Massey deer

Name
Billy
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently joined the National Trust and I have this Thursday & Friday off work so I fancied using my membership & going to Dunham Massey.

I've never been before & I thought I could cover 2 subjects at once the Autumn trees and the deer rutting but I have never been so I was looking for a little bit of advice on locations for photographing the deer, I'm going to try to be there for the parks opening time which is 8am I'm not in any rush to leave as long as I miss the evening rush hour traffic.

Any information and advice would be kindly appreciated.

We went a couple of weeks ago for the Panasonic experience day; The deer were very friendly and quite close - we did not venture much off the path as had a young family member with us, but it is certainly a big place with lot of exploration possible. Used to go there almost every week as a child so nice to get back there. FWIW, I took a Sony RX10 3 and a Sony HX90 for a few selfies - I'll see if I can find some of the pics, but there was not much amazing that I took! Another one is Tatton Park just a tad down the road. Similar but a bit bigger I think? Not sure, but both top notch places :)

We went a couple of weeks ago for the Panasonic experience day; The deer were very friendly and quite close - we did not venture much off the path as had a young family member with us, but it is certainly a big place with lot of exploration possible. Used to go there almost every week as a child so nice to get back there. FWIW, I took a Sony RX10 3 and a Sony HX90 for a few selfies - I'll see if I can find some of the pics, but there was not much amazing that I took! Another one is Tatton Park just a tad down the road. Similar but a bit bigger I think? Not sure, but both top notch places :)

Tatton Park is council managed, even though the house is NT, so you have to pay to get into the park, but the house and gradens are free for an NT member. Both Tatton and Dunham Massey can get busy, even on a weekday.

As I've never been to either I may try both but it's the deer I'm after photographing so I could end up staying at Dunham Masey.

Dunham Massey is a big place and there are a lot of deer. They are relatively shy and you will need to be patient. You will be lucky to get close so take a long lens. Monopod is preferable to tripod. Lots of cover so you may stumble across deer by chance.
Some way from the main building is a byre type of building that they do use a lot, and is good for photographing them.
Boots are a must and be prepared to kneel in long grass. If they get wind of you they will just go. Patience is a virtue.
You do know that Friday's forecast is ****?
I have Saturday provisionally booked in if the weather is going to be amenable. Not going to wander round in the dark, damp wet. But then I've had it booked in for a couple of weekends and haven't gone because of the weather!!!

Dunham Massey is a big place and there are a lot of deer. They are relatively shy and you will need to be patient. You will be lucky to get close so take a long lens. Monopod is preferable to tripod. Lots of cover so you may stumble across deer by chance.
Some way from the main building is a byre type of building that they do use a lot, and is good for photographing them.
Boots are a must and be prepared to kneel in long grass. If they get wind of you they will just go. Patience is a virtue.
You do know that Friday's forecast is ****?
I have Saturday provisionally booked in if the weather is going to be amenable. Not going to wander round in the dark, damp wet. But then I've had it booked in for a couple of weekends and haven't gone because of the weather!!!

Hi Frank,
I'm working on Saturday as I've now started a 12 hour 4 on 4 off shift, I've just packed my camera bag hoping to go tomorrow morning as it's a clear night tonight so there may be some mist around in the morning.

@mickledore

This will be my 1st trip to Dunham Massey so it's more of a look and see sort of thing, I'm off Wed, Thur, Fri & Sat next week so I'll possibly return as the colours should be better than this week and I'll have a little more knowledge about the place.

@Billy
I've got dentist and physio tomorrow.
Working till lunch on Friday.
Next week I'm free all those days.
Early morning can be good if you get low light coming through the foliage and mist.
If you want to go back just give me a shout. Always happy to have a day out.

@Billy
Early morning can be good if you get low light coming through the foliage and mist.

We'll look at the weather and choose the best day for a visit next week, my mate said he's got a spare northern rail ticket valid until mid-November @ £7.50ish per person for a full days travels anywhere on Northern rail, he's bringing it to work for me on Monday.

Northern Rail???
That's dangerous.
Rules out weekends too as they are on perma
strike.
Where's the station for Dunham Massey?

Northern Rail???
That's dangerous.
Rules out weekends too as they are on perma
strike.
Where's the station for Dunham Massey?

I wasn't thinking of Durham Massey with the rail ticket, we could go to a few locations in 1 day.

@Billy
I'm off to Newcastle in early November for a midweek overnighter. 6th/7th.
Don't know how your work fits or if you can train it easily from Preston, but come along if you want. Booked into a Premier Inn.

I'm booked into Premier Inn Cockermouth 4th November so it 4th/5th in the lakes for me.

Any information and advice would be kindly appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Lyme park is the better choice if one want to try and get them rutting ,i know how to get in before the gates open but it's a bit long winded to actualy direct ..anyway i think they open the gates around 8.00am at Lyme ,its a a good walk to the sanctuary ,it is out of bounds to actualy enter the sanctuary but i have had them pretty close to me once i have set up from the track ,you have the sun behind you until around 10.00am from sunrise it's pot luck if it happens but i have had some pretty good encounters in te times i have been ...[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Any information and advice would be kindly appreciated.
Lyme park is the better choice if one want to try and get them rutting ,i know how to get in before the gates open but it's a bit long winded to actualy direct ..anyway i think they open the gates around 8.00am at Lyme ,its a a good walk to the sanctuary ,it is out of bounds to actualy enter the sanctuary but i have had them pretty close to me once i have set up from the track ,you have the sun behind you until around 10.00am from sunrise it's pot luck if it happens but i have had some pretty good encounters in te times i have been ...[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Dennis,
I see Lyme Park is another NT property and it's only a 10-mile difference over Dunham Massey, I'll read up on it tonight and make a choice in the morning.

Lyme park is the better choice if one want to try and get them rutting ,i know how to get in before the gates open but it's a bit long winded to actualy direct ..anyway i think they open the gates around 8.00am at Lyme ,its a a good walk to the sanctuary ,it is out of bounds to actualy enter the sanctuary but i have had them pretty close to me once i have set up from the track ,you have the sun behind you until around 10.00am from sunrise it's pot luck if it happens but i have had some pretty good encounters in te times i have been ...
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Dennis,
I see Lyme Park is another NT property and it's only a 10-mile difference over Dunham Massey, I'll read up on it tonight and make a choice in the morning.[/QUOTE]
This was take on the 13th October 6 years ago at Lyme park i had just parked up ..
Stag moving his hind (1 of 1) by dennis greenwood, on Flickr

Lovely shot Dennis, I'm still looking at your Flickr stream you have some amazing images.

@Billy
Some thoughts...
What's Blackpool like for the lights? Tawdry as hell last time I was there some years ago, and not too photogenic. Not many shots on here so is it not worth the bother?

What's happening with that light thingy of yours that we were going to use on Lytham beach? By the old Pier?

Not sure where we can go for a day on Northern Rail. We went to both Leeds and Sheffield 12 months ago and just about "did" it all. Twist my arm and I might go back:eek:

Hull takes 3 hours and changes in Leeds where we could meet up. But what is there over there? Capital of Culture, but that didn't bring a lot to Liverpool and it's near the year end now.

St Helens for the glassworks, but that's only half a day.

How about Chester? I can get there for free on Merseyrail.
(I've two tickets for the Waterways Museum at Ellesmere Port that expire 26 November. Could use them)

Stoke on Trent for the Potteries but I've looked at that before and we really need a car.

I'm struggling with Northern Rail network
Capture.JPG

@Billy

Been wondering about Tatton Park early in the morning for the deer. Might take a few goes, but a misty morning with a bit of sun breaking through is the plan. Any idea if there's anywhere to park round about before opening time? I believe opening time is only 10:00 (although this could just be for the house), which isn't much use for what I'm after

@Billy
Some thoughts...
What's Blackpool like for the lights? Tawdry as hell last time I was there some years ago, and not too photogenic. Not many shots on here so is it not worth the bother?

What's happening with that light thingy of yours that we were going to use on Lytham beach? By the old Pier?

Not sure where we can go for a day on Northern Rail. We went to both Leeds and Sheffield 12 months ago and just about "did" it all. Twist my arm and I might go back:eek:

Hull takes 3 hours and changes in Leeds where we could meet up. But what is there over there? Capital of Culture, but that didn't bring a lot to Liverpool and it's near the year end now.

St Helens for the glassworks, but that's only half a day.

How about Chester? I can get there for free on Merseyrail.
(I've two tickets for the Waterways Museum at Ellesmere Port that expire 26 November. Could use them)

Stoke on Trent for the Potteries but I've looked at that before and we really need a car.

I'm struggling with Northern Rail network
View attachment 136318

I need to secure the ticket 1st should be Monday

I still have the pixelstick we could do Blackpool and St. Annes/Lytham in one night

No idea. We need someone with local kowledge, but the roads are narrow round there. £7 car parking, even for members means I'll be looking!

It was worth an ask! :) hopefully someone will be along with some info... Nice to know there are other options for deer in the area though, hadn't really considered Dunham Massey or Lyme Park. Definitely not cheap for car parking, about the same in fuel too..

Never been to Lyme Park for the deer but there is a footpath into it from Cock Knoll. No idea how far that is from the deer.
I've had most success at Dunham Massey.

Getting to Lyme Park for early in the morning will be a PITA, there is a lot of traffic around the bottom side of Manchester, in fact just about anywhere around Manchester in the rush hour. You might be better considering a really early start and a breakfast near your destination to miss the traffic.

Getting to Lyme Park for early in the morning will be a PITA, there is a lot of traffic around the bottom side of Manchester, in fact just about anywhere around Manchester in the rush hour. You might be better considering a really early start and a breakfast near your destination to miss the traffic.

I was thinking the same Weetabix in the car.

That's about the size of it.
Even round here the Machester traffic at 7.30 is chocker.

Made it, traffic wasn't too bad, I got there just after 8:00am nobody on the gate to take any parking charge and I just walked into the park, I had a look around took a few pics and came home I never got asked for any payment or to show my NT card and the parking attendant told me whoever gets there before he does has free parking, which is OK for none National Trust members.

All in all, not a bad day but I think it needs another week or 10 days before the colours are at there best.

National Trust has started making members display a ticket besides your windscreen sticker. Swipe your membership card to get one.

When are you free next week/fortnight?

National Trust has started making members display a ticket besides your windscreen sticker. Swipe your membership card to get one.

I've never placed my window sticker in my car, nobody has ever said anything.

I can do Thurs/Fri next week and Saturday the week after. Might be able to do Thurs/Fri 25/26th but that's tentatively pencilled in for Bearded Tits at Leighton Moss - decision to be made on Tuesday 23rd.

Made it, traffic wasn't too bad, I got there just after 8:00am nobody on the gate to take any parking charge and I just walked into the park, I had a look around took a few pics and came home I never got asked for any payment or to show my NT card and the parking attendant told me whoever gets there before he does has free parking, which is OK for none National Trust members.

All in all, not a bad day but I think it needs another week or 10 days before the colours are at there best.

Interesting, presumably no sign of any barriers to stop you getting in to park before the attendant does then?

Interesting, presumably no sign of any barriers to stop you getting in to park before the attendant does then?

There wasn't any barriers I just drove in and the visitor's centre only opens at 10:00 so you can just walk into the park

a few National Trust car parks use the ANPR system it clocks your number plate as you enter the car park, you can use your membership card to get a ticket I got caught out in the Lakes last year

a few National Trust car parks use the ANPR system it clocks your number plate as you enter the car park, you can use your membership card to get a ticket I got caught out in the Lakes last year

ANPR must pay as most car parks use it nowadays

Back