East Anglia Looking for Spalding area photographic delights

Bit of a landscape desert around there or more correctly desolate fenland vista,
Best bet would be the Lincolnshire Wolds and that's it unless you like big skies and did I mention fenland.

North Norfolk coast has some cliffs, Old Hunstanton isn't too far, any interest in architecture type stuff?
Some old towns and cities within reach namely Lincoln and Peterborough, Kings Lynn also has some interesting buildings.

More local people might offer up some suggestions, but can't say I have found anything very inspiring nearby.
Even Alan Partridge got a dig in when he mentioned his radio station coverage being from Spalding to Lowestoft.

Spalding does have a nice museum with a decent cafe in its grounds and more strangely a pie and mash shop in the town.
Given the large eastern European population I found that a rather peculiar choice of eaterie

If you want to travel a bit further north then Lincoln has some good sights - cathedral, castle, IBCC all of which are set on hills and give opportunites for views of each other. The countryside is mostly fenland in Lincolnshire until you get into the north eastern parts with the Wolds which are rather nice. There are also some decent shots around the fenland, try Frampton Marsh RSPB Nature Reserve which provides some interesting vistas as well as the birds.

Agree with tijuana taxi about the delights of North Norfolk and Old Hunstanton in particular.

Thanks Rich. Looks like I'm either going to have to get creative, or do some travelling
Get creative! You will end up with better pictures if a 'standard' landscape vista is not handed to you on a plate. You have rivers entering the Wash in several places close to Spalding which have varying opportunities according to tide. Farmland at this time of year is very active and even fenland a great potential for harvest pictures.

Both the Wolds and the Lincoln Cliff are fairly close. More river valleys and nestling villages. We also have quite a bit of coast.

There is a seal sanctuary near the wash too if I remember correctly, also Lincoln cathedral and your not far from Coningsby with Typhoons and BBMF, East Kirby with their Lanc is also good.

Last edited:
Hi All
I'm going to be working in Spalding for a few months.
Do any of you chaps having any recommendations as to where to go for some landscapre photography delights?
TIA

Spalding isn't good at all for landscapes, a few daffodil fields in spring and bales late summer in very flat fields - your best bet would be travelling to the Lincolnshire Wolds or North Norfolk Coast in my opinion. The Wolds is very underrated and at it's best in mid to late summer, though as the harvest has been early about half of the fields have already been cut. A great place to explore though, try the Bluestone Heath Road between South Ormsby and the turn off for Red Hill Nature Reserve for starters

Last edited:
Back