Looking towards Dartmoor.

Baloo

Pleurodelinae and proud
Name
Roger
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm also not too far from Dartmoor (East Devon) and would be happy to have a meet up if there is one being arranged.

Defo up for that, maybe end of March?

Defo up for that, maybe end of March?

I'm pretty close to the moor (well, I'm in Exeter) and up for a meet. Would prefer a warmer season and dry roads (makes a bike a practical mode of transport!)

Would suggest Ullacombe Farm café just down from Hay Tor as a meeting spot.

I'm pretty close to the moor (well, I'm in Exeter) and up for a meet. Would prefer a warmer season and dry roads (makes a bike a practical mode of transport!)

Would suggest Ullacombe Farm café just down from Hay Tor as a meeting spot.
Good idea, stopped there when I was out on the Trumpet last year exploring the three reservoirs nearby, the names of which escape me.

Good idea, stopped there when I was out on the Trumpet last year exploring the three reservoirs nearby, the names of which escape me.
Would that be Trenchford, Kennick and Tottiford reservoir...?

Mrs Nod and a friend once looked at a map of Wimbleball Reservoir and decided that since it was only a couple of inches long on the map, it would be a fairly quick walk. It wasn't! Especially since they followed the waterline all the way round...

Anybody else use the Dartmoor 365 book?

Don't use books. I have several, but more the historical ones because I collected them when I could. I've always been fascinated by the archeology and tracing old routes, things like that. I've been walking the place most of my life. I think I've been everywhere it's vaguely safe to go (and a few places where I've thought 'oops, shouldn't have done that............')

I would be up for a meet but I am no longer local and would be restricted to a weekend.

I have the Dartmoor 365 book...although haven't had much time of late to get out.

Had to google this but Amazon have one in stock so I'll order it. There are 2 versions, the latest 2018 is £8.60, the older version is £39.17 a big difference. I'm just starting to plan a year long project which I will start photographing on the first day of Spring 2021 and it will run for a year, basically Dartmoor on film throughout the year. 4 Quarters in all 4 seasons so the 365 may help in the planning of my shot list.

Last edited:
I have an older copy of the book, it's useful but my version only has sketches in it so you wouldn't be able to get much idea of prospective images.

I have an older copy of the book, it's useful but my version only has sketches in it so you wouldn't be able to get much idea of prospective images.

Thanks, I've ordered the new version I expect it will serve the purpose. I do have several other Dartmoor books the oldest being Dartmoor by R Hansford Worth which is considered by some top be the definitive Dartmoor book. Great history book few photo ideas though.

Had to google this but Amazon have one in stock so I'll order it. There are 2 versions, the latest 2018 is £8.60, the older version is £39.17 a big difference. I'm just starting to plan a year long project which I will start photographing on the first day of Spring 2021 and it will run for a year, basically Dartmoor on film throughout the year. 4 Quarters in all 4 seasons so the 365 may help in the planning of my shot list.
I have the version before 2018...but I did not pay £39 for it :LOL:
1580810537938.png

There is a website called Dartefacts link here that may be of interest to you...

There is a website called Dartefacts link here that may be of interest to you...

I'd heard of that site but never actually looked at it, it's a great website with loads of info so thanks for sharing it.

I'd heard of that site but never actually looked at it, it's a great website with loads of info so thanks for sharing it.

I've got the book and I'm on the 365 facebook group as well, but it's run with a rod of iron and any off topic chatting is not tolerated.

I've got the book and I'm on the 365 facebook group as well, but it's run with a rod of iron and any off topic chatting is not tolerated.
Yes, I'm on that group too, and, I can understand why only 365 posts are allowed...but, there is a Dartmoor walking group if people want 'chit chat'

Is there something wrong with the site, as my last post shows 3 times and I cannot delete.

Is there something wrong with the site, as my last post shows 3 times and I cannot delete.

I was having problems like this earlier. But, I can only see 1 of your post so not sure what's going on

I have had the same problem... when I click 'post reply' it just hangs there... I wait 15 seconds then click 'home' and then it posts it.

Last edited:
Yes I was getting this yesterday.

Something is not right. Also noticed that the message counts are not increasing eg The OP is stuck on 2,096. The dark forces of Dartmoor!

Back