Looking towards Dartmoor.

Something is not right. Also noticed that the message counts are not increasing eg The OP is stuck on 2,096. The dark forces of Dartmoor!
He's on 2097 now?

I'm still in about 1996...

Thinking back (given that the above post took about 15 seconds to appear...), I think I had a problem on this thread a few days ago. IIRC I deleted a dupe post.

I'd not seen this thread before. I'm away with work at the mo but when I'm at home (the muff) I'm on the moor a lot. On a few Dartmoor FB pages too, 365, Dartmoor Public Group, Dartmoor & Exmoor Wild Campers. Seeing the Foggintor pics here's an old shot I found on a hard drive this week.

Yellowmead

And now I've just joined, there's another one, I live on the border of the moor ;) .....Looks an interesting and informative group.

Hi Jean - seen some of your stuff on Flickr. I lived on the moor for a while many years ago but was forced by work to the wrong side of the county border. Just spend far too much time on Dartmoor (well, under normal circumstances, but haven't been there for 3 months..........).

Hi Jean - seen some of your stuff on Flickr. I lived on the moor for a while many years ago but was forced by work to the wrong side of the county border. Just spend far too much time on Dartmoor (well, under normal circumstances, but haven't been there for 3 months..........).
Hi, you can never spend too much time on Dartmoor!! .....I live on the south-western border of the moor in Wotter (between Shaugh Prior and Lee Moor). Oh, and I just popped into Flickr and had a deco at your stuff - you have some very nice images :) I tend to use 500px more these days as a lot more feedback! .... This site is really playing up - didn't show my first post so tried again a few times and ended up with lots of repeats which it is not letting me delete! Hope this is not a regular occurrence :(

Hi, you can never spend too much time on Dartmoor!! .....I live on the south-western border of the moor in Wotter (between Shaugh Prior and Lee Moor). Oh, and I just popped into Flickr and had a deco at your stuff - you have some very nice images :) I tend to use 500px more these days as a lot more feedback! .... This site is really playing up - didn't show my first post so tried again a few times and ended up with lots of repeats which it is not letting me delete! Hope this is not a regular occurrence :(

The site's having a few go-slow moments. Just a glitch. Probably the server hamster stopping for a quick drink.......... :D

The most westerly tor on Dartmoor, but other than that...........................?
Were there many people? I'm waiting for winter before I go back. Far too hot on any nice day atm anyway. I normally avoid the summer months.
Correct. There were a few people there but everyone was civil and only let others enjoy the place. TBH I am retiring in Feb next year so am looking forward to going "out Moor" in the week when there will (hopefully) be less people around. Weather was typical Dartmoor, sunshine, rain, mizzle.......... you know the story.

Correct. There were a few people there but everyone was civil and only let others enjoy the place. TBH I am retiring in Feb next year so am looking forward to going "out Moor" in the week when there will (hopefully) be less people around. Weather was typical Dartmoor, sunshine, rain, mizzle.......... you know the story.

I've been going there mid week for many years now. When I was still working I would avidly study the weather forecast for the following day and pray no-one rang me up for a job I really had to be there for. There were also many days when I was poking around an aircraft looking longingly out of the hangar doors and wishing I was somewhere else. It is much quieter mid week and very easy to get away from the people who are there. I also usually give late June to early September a miss as I go to walk first photograph second and dragging a heavy rucksack 10 - 15 miles on a hot day (19 deg or above - I don't do heat) is just unbearable.. And potentially dangerous as I can walk for miles not knowing where the nearest human being is. Get out there in winter when it's -5 deg and the mires are all frozen and funnily enough there'll be no-one around.............

I'll give it till after Easter for some of the mayhem to subside (hopefully) then I'll be down. Got my first walk planned for an area where if I'm lucky there won't be too many 'casuals'. and if there are a few I can get away from them. I'll be in training on the Quantocks for the next couple of weeks as I haven't tackled a real hill yet this year...........

I've been out every Saturday in this lockdown on a 5 1/2 mile hike from my house up on to the outer Moor first 1 1/2 miles is uphill at about 30 degrees, I take my camera pack filled with gear (about 40 lbs) and around my shoulder a Fuji X-T2 for snapshooting (that's where I shot the 2 in this thread (https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/dartmoor-discussions.706744/page-3#post-8919381) so I'm hill fit. Tuesday is my first planned outing which will be from 2 Bridges out over Crockern Tor to Littaford Tor then on to Higher and Lower White Tors (the centre most Tors in the Forrest). I'll likely shoot Wistmans Wood from Littaford Tor as we pass.

I've been out every Saturday in this lockdown on a 5 1/2 mile hike from my house up on to the outer Moor first 1 1/2 miles is uphill at about 30 degrees, I take my camera pack filled with gear (about 40 lbs) and around my shoulder a Fuji X-T2 for snapshooting (that's where I shot the 2 in this thread (https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/dartmoor-discussions.706744/page-3#post-8919381) so I'm hill fit. Tuesday is my first planned outing which will be from 2 Bridges out over Crockern Tor to Littaford Tor then on to Higher and Lower White Tors (the centre most Tors in the Forrest). I'll likely shoot Wistmans Wood from Littaford Tor as we pass.

I like them both, where is the location for the first one please, if that is not being impolite?

I am currently on holiday, staying the just outside Dartmoor. I know where VentFord reservoir is but I gather the waterfall is tricky to find. It doesn’t look too difficult from the os map.

Last edited:
Park in the Car Park right beside the bridge/dam. Turn left at the toilet block and follow the fence line go more than 500 yards and you've missed them. Further up the road you also
have Combestone Tor.

Here's an image I made today at Great Staple Tor, Brentor is in the far (far!) background ...

Here's an image I made today at Great Staple Tor, Brentor is in the far (far!) background ...

Might have to stop looking at your Moor shots and put myself down for a copy of the book instead!

That was odd - that post took well over 10 seconds to upload.

Back