Looking towards South Shields

Name
paul rogers
Edit My Images
Yes
Out the other evening waiting to capture some leo's.
Only had me 100-400 Lens with me and Looking towards Home taken at 400
The old water Tower to the left and the Old Cleadon Mill to the right
cropped a little off the bottom to remove some of the hedge

6Y6A9955.jpg

Dramatic sky there Paul- lovely image

Les :)

Thank you at lesst some one likes it :)

Hi Paul -Sometimes, folk in here don't comment on decent images- not a reflection on your photography - its just some people are
born lazy :)

Les

It's good dramatic image, but if I'm honest I think it's a little underexposed for my taste. Sorry.

I think people can be a little too nice on these forums, honesty is essential for critique otherwise it doesn't help anyone. This used to be the type of picture I used to produce so I'll say what I feel but you're free to discard as you wish.

For me there is no clear subject, my eyes are split between the tower on the left, the mill on the right and a gap in the middle where the sun beams are - my eyes don't settle anywhere. Decide on your main subject, maybe the mill in this case as it looks like you can get a cleaner composition and focus on how you're going to make that into an effective photograph - composition is really important - it might be that zooming in a little more and using portrait orientation could've isolated the mill and emphasised the dramatic sky. A real bonus would've been a sun beam hitting the mill - we don't know how long you waited but it can happen if you sit it out...worth it in such dramatic conditions.

One final thought is landscape pictures often benefit from a lighter touch in processing - I'm not sure why but most magazines promote the use of added clarity, dehaze, contrast and saturation when a lot of the time negative can work really well depending on the mood of the picture. A gentle touch is really important or viewers will question the authenticity.

Scirocco
there no defining point as you stated But as the tower and the Mill are about 1/2 mile apart and tower behind the Mill, it was also taken @ 400mm and I liked the light falling on the field between them

Back