Loose Seal! Eastbourne Marina (South Coast)

Name
Etienne
Edit My Images
Yes
Finally got some shots of the Seal in Eastbourne harbour. It was just before sunset and it was just casually hanging about. It decided to come take a closer look at a few of us by the side of the water and then headed back out to the middle of the outer harbour where it likes to sit at low tide.

Nice to see this kind of wildlife hanging around in this area.

Took this shot from the 5th floor of an apartment block in the Marina. It was handheld and using an additional 1.4x TC (784mm total) but I did cheat and lean up against the doorframe to the balcony and rest the lens against the open door lol

Swimmy Seal by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Looks happy! Either that or sleepy...

Happy Floaty Seal by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

At this stage I'd come down by the side of the water to get a bit closer. It headed over near the lock gates so I followed

Seal Going Right by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Here it is just checking out the spectators

Seal Profile by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

I've been spotted!

Seal Eyes by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

More eye contact

Seal Stare by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

It kinda sat there for a while bobbing around and checking people out. After a few more people showed up it just kinda sank down and submerged before swimming away to a more comfortable distance

Seal Bobbing by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Bye Mr/Mrs Seal

Seal Going Left by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

I love seals, is this one permanent or just a visitor, Eastbourne is a pain to get to from here but might make the effort ;)
Nice to see it enjoying itself

From what I hear, he/she is fairly resident there. My sister/bro in law live in the Marina in an apartment with a view and they've seen it quite often. Sometimes there's a few more Seals with him/her too apparently too although I've yet to see any others.

It apparently seems to like chilling there at low tide since there's a mudbank in the middle of the outer harbour which gets exposed at low tide. It lays about on there usually so I guess it's a safe spot to rest.

Back