Lorna - the look...

A nice picture of a very pretty model, but is spoilt by her hand being in the air, to me it draws the eyes away from the main view point, which is her face

Love it; fab expression, great composition even if she is a tiny bit low in the frame.

Thanks Simon, I'll post the original up when I get the laptop out. Cropped oddly due to the way Lorna's arm looked as it rested on the arm of the chair. She's skin and bones but...it looked odd.

I was lucky to get a shot, camera shy just a tiny bit...

I was concentrating on her eyes in the light, missed the arm weirdness.

ETA the original, plus another better framed shot (she's still too low in the first).

IMG_0183 by Ian Bradshaw, on Flickr

IMG_0182 by Ian Bradshaw, on Flickr

Last edited:
Where have you been Ian? I like it, kinda looks quite cool.

Crazy busy with the day job Kris, that's basically it. These were rare shots of Lorna - as her family didn't not know she smoked at the time, and she really does need to be in the right mood for a shot to be taken. She'd done her makeup, the light looked great. Her parents know she smokes now, so it was 'safe' to post them to Flickr.

The cigarette was part of the 'story' if you like. One my the favourite shots of her during 11 days in a wonderful country. She's way more chilled when she's had a smoke!!!

Only got round to batch processing them recently - mostly of Finley, the area we stayed, hotel detailed shots of the architecture, some candid street shots in the markets, all sorts really. I think the thought of processing just under 3,000 shots may have put me off a bit too...

It was wonderful to be shooting without the faff of lights, triggers, background, etc. Amazing natural light.

Last edited:
Crazy busy with the day job Kris, that's basically it. These were rare shots of Lorna - as her family didn't not know she smoked at the time, and she really does need to be in the right mood for a shot to be taken. She'd done her makeup, the light looked great. Her parents know she smokes now, so it was 'safe' to post them to Flickr.

The cigarette was part of the 'story' if you like. One my the favourite shots of her during 11 days in a wonderful country. She's way more chilled when she's had a smoke!!!

Only got round to batch processing them recently - mostly of Finley, the area we stayed, hotel detailed shots of the architecture, some candid street shots in the markets, all sorts really. I think the thought of processing just under 3,000 shots may have put me off a bit too...

It was wonderful to be shooting without the faff of lights, triggers, background, etc. Amazing natural light.

Good to see you back, honeymoon sounds great. Isn't it always so noticeable how much better the light is when you travel, we must have it pretty harsh! 3000 snaps! I reckon the cull is the most important bit, I feel that pain. The only set that I wasn't so aggressive with was the birth of Rosie, but I'm pretty brutal normally. Came back from RIAT with 1500 and culled to 300 pretty quickly.

Good to see you back, honeymoon sounds great. Isn't it always so noticeable how much better the light is when you travel, we must have it pretty harsh! 3000 snaps! I reckon the cull is the most important bit, I feel that pain. The only set that I wasn't so aggressive with was the birth of Rosie, but I'm pretty brutal normally. Came back from RIAT with 1500 and culled to 300 pretty quickly.

I reviewed and deleted at the end of each day as I only had two 64 Gb memory cards with me and was shooting raw only. That's what was left as keepers. There were so many opportunities for shots, the hotel was photography heaven, the markets, a trip to the coast where Hitchcock filmed The Birds, my little model Finley running around. The AMAZING light....

Luckily I stumbled across a camera shop on the trip to the coast, the big, yellow, old metal Kodak sign caught my eye in a market just after the second memory card had filled up. Two more bought, more shooting for the rest of the honeymoon.

When I have time I'll post up some others from the 11 days we spent there.

I reviewed and deleted at the end of each day as I only had two 64 Gb memory cards with me and was shooting raw only. That's what was left as keepers. There were so many opportunities for shots, the hotel was photography heaven, the markets, a trip to the coast where Hitchcock filmed The Birds, my little model Finley running around. The AMAZING light....

Luckily I stumbled across a camera shop on the trip to the coast, the big, yellow, old metal Kodak sign caught my eye in a market just after the second memory card had filled up. Two more bought, more shooting for the rest of the honeymoon.

When I have time I'll post up some others from the 11 days we spent there.

Sounds pretty awesome, look forward to seeing a few shots when you get around to them. It's a lot to process though so probably a bit like me, it will take a while as not used to doing so many at a time and with work commitments that kind of number would give me a headache too. I'm the same with the cards situation, don't normally need to store more than 2000 at a time so haven't stocked up for much more. Holidays are potentially the only time in a year where I need a few more cards. The positive could be that it might help you streamline your workflow.

The one big thing that I've done this year is to really concentrate on nailing the exposure in camera everytime. I mostly used to shoot aperture mode and there were invariably a few tweaks on exposure all over the place, and on a big shoot (500+) it really adds up, especially if you have a sequence of shots in the same lighting, there's many times the camera will expose a third of a stop above or below which is a PITA when processing. So I've gone to manual for 95% of my stuff and it's made a big difference with my workflow, that with spot metering has made a real difference for me.

They are all processed, Kris, and I shoot manual all the time. Anything over/under exposed was binned. Finley running between shade and sun caused a few interesting exposures!

Reviewed on Lorna's iPad in the evenings using the Canon Camera Connect app on wifi, usually while having a beer and keeping an eye on Finley, or when he was asleep.

They were just processed through ACR, all done in batches of around 500 at a time, saved to max size JPG, saved down to small files for web use. Uploading to my website in batches of 500 at the moment, so that they can be shared with family/friends.

I've given up with Flickr, since they made the auto upload a 'paid for' option.

I'll PM you a link when they have all been uploaded.

Sounds
They are all processed, Kris, and I shoot manual all the time. Anything over/under exposed was binned. Finley running between shade and sun caused a few interesting exposures!

Reviewed on Lorna's iPad in the evenings using the Canon Camera Connect app on wifi, usually while having a beer and keeping an eye on Finley, or when he was asleep.

They were just processed through ACR, all done in batches of around 500 at a time, saved to max size JPG, saved down to small files for web use. Uploading to my website in batches of 500 at the moment, so that they can be shared with family/friends.

I've given up with Flickr, since they made the auto upload a 'paid for' option.

I'll PM you a link when they have all been uploaded.

Sounds like you've sussed it. Having a bigger screen to view is very handy when you're away, I don't think there's an app for Nikon to do similar? I've been using Flickr a little for family stuff but tend to used a closed group on FB, but only cherry pick the odd shots for both.

Back