Lost in the Woods

Name
Stuart McGlennon
Edit My Images
No
Title say's it all - saw the blanket fog when I woke up so headed for the woods, and had no idea what I was looking for or where I was headed. Sometimes I find this is the best way for me as it means I'm less constrained and open to new compositions.

I know trees are somewhat marmite however I'm really quite enjoying shooting them these days, especially when the conditions suit:

A Bit Lost by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr
Red Splash by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr
Creepy by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

A nice set but for me, 3 stands out, full of atmosphere.

The 1st one is a very fine example of the style of shot. It just feels like I have seen it before. The others are too messy for me but one does certainly hold my interest despite it seeming very familiar in concept and execution.

The first is very nice Stuart the second is to fussy for me the third works because of the colour of the beech leaves but is still a little cluttered.

I like these all. Bags of atmosphere and lovely soft colours. I can't choose a favourite. Nice job finding something new and different.
Thanks Alan, certainly challenging shooting this stuff

A nice set but for me, 3 stands out, full of atmosphere.
Thanks Dale

The 1st one is a very fine example of the style of shot. It just feels like I have seen it before. The others are too messy for me but one does certainly hold my interest despite it seeming very familiar in concept and execution.
Steve, can agree the messy element of a couple as I find that a little myself and certainly something which I'll enjoy practicing on in future to improve these types of composition. Regards familiarity however not really sure the relevance of that given the repetitive nature of most types of landscape photography?

The first is very nice Stuart the second is to fussy for me the third works because of the colour of the beech leaves but is still a little cluttered.
Cheers Alf yep I'll revisit this spot and see if I can get a less cluttered version I think

Really nice shots on a difficult subject which I personally have struggled with. They all work for me but IMO the stand out shot is the first, it just has that little bit more atmosphere for me over the other 2.

I like the other 2 as well, I think with the 3rd shot theres almost 2 shots in one image tho, I like viewing down the left hand side but the nice colour on the tree also draws my attention.

Cheers Alf yep I'll revisit this spot and see if I can get a less cluttered version I think

I would never suggest coppying someone but look at Mark Littlejohn's woodland shots to see what I mean.

I have tried this sort of thing but never found shots that work for me.

That edit is nice Stuart it looks less cluttered due to subtle editing

lovely photos. #1 and #3 my favorites. lovely atmosphere.
Thanks very much
That edit is nice Stuart it looks less cluttered due to subtle editing
Thanks Alf, I tried quite alot of versions of it to be honest.
Thats much better mate!
Cheers Neil, probably should have trusted my instincts in hindsight.
I like all of them - seems to open a new perspective on the woodlands.
Thanks very much, it's been a good find this place and glad I went exploring in there, one to return to.
Completely disagree that 2 & 3 are too busy or cluttered, not the case at all.
Thanks Glenn - I can kind of see both sides (cluttered/not cluttered) at the time I felt I'd given the red bush enough space, by their nature woodland scenes are cluttered to an extent which is probably why alot of people give up with them although I like the challenge of them.
It shows. The first really reminds me of one of his. If posting was anonymous on here I'd have put money on the first being one of his.
Well if the first is anything like some of his stuff then it'll do for me - i'm not so much influenced by Mark's style (although with natural fog/mist in this image it's hard for it to not look like one of his) but I think he's got a great attitude towards photography in general - I admire anyone who can go out and create compelling images within 20mins from home without having to drive hours to places stamp collecting. For me it says alot about the quality of the photographer.

1st image is a great example. Well composed and the control of light is exceptional.
While the other two are also good for me they aren't quite as strong.

Loving forest images myself recently.

Back