Louise with book

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Louise wanted a twitter profile photo for her new venture, and so I took a beauty dish out into a nearby wooded area to take some shots.

I have not edited them as much as I could - just because they are going to be twitter pics and when they get that small, well it won't matter much anymore!

Mostly for me it was just having chance to play with flash outside :)

Louise Book by dancook1982, on Flickr

I also tried doing some shots against the sun, though by this point - our dog was playing up and we were ready to go home - I'd like to have spent more time doing something interesting with these.

Last edited:
#2 is the one I like best apart from her fingers, watch your backgrounds, especially #5 and #6
Don't like the hand in #7
Holding a book invariably ends up with the Agincourt hand :)

Last edited:

I love the gentle grainy low contrast B&W of 6… is my pick! :)
Though MatBin has got a point there. :cool:

#2 is the one I like best apart from her fingers, watch your backgrounds, especially #5 and #6
If the book wasn't upside down :)

Thanks, and I will have to look that up!

Ahh well I knew I'd heard of the battle of Agincourt, and now I'm reminded it seems to be the one in which the archers stuck up their V's because they won and the french didn't get to chop their fingers off.

Lovely!

The first is funny & original
The second b&w is the most successful of that set, a fabulous portrait, I think because you can see the face & the expression is great.
The first sunset pic is nearly fab.. a ctb or ½ ctb gel on the flash might have made the background go a richer colour?

5 and 6 for me too, I don't like the way the line of Louise's nose merges with the pages in #2 and being really picky the half nostril in #3 distracts me but as said 5 and 6 are really good

Lovely!

The first is funny & original
The second b&w is the most successful of that set, a fabulous portrait, I think because you can see the face & the expression is great.
The first sunset pic is nearly fab.. a ctb or ½ ctb gel on the flash might have made the background go a richer colour?

thanks!

With sunset pics I used a bare flash (no gels, actually a strobe with BD) and resorted to balancing using adjustment brush in Lightroom, so could have played around with that more :)

Last edited:
5 and 6 for me too, I don't like the way the line of Louise's nose merges with the pages in #2 and being really picky the half nostril in #3 distracts me but as said 5 and 6 are really good

thanks

It was her desire to hide most of her face in the images - but I wanted to get a mix

Had another look on my monitor at work and I find I really like the B&W so long as I close crop and lose the foliage appearing out of the back of her head, which is what I meant by backgrounds, so easy to miss that stuff when looking through the viewfinder, especially if not a FF camera.

Last edited:
Had another look on my monitor at work and I find I really like the B&W so long as I close crop and loose the foliage appearing out of the back of her head, which is what I meant by backgrounds, so easy to miss that stuff when looking through the viewfinder, especially if not a FF camera.

Yes I was too focused on trying to get some foreground bokeh that didn't over obscure the face that I forgot about behind.

Back