Louise

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
It's been a while since I took some portraits of Louise, or really any flash lit portraits. I assisted with a portrait shoot recently and it inspired me to give it a go again. So here's a few photos from this evening.

Louise by dancook1982, on Flickr

and finally to separate it from the colours a bit....

Always look forward to seeing your stuff Dan.

Love 1 and the last one. It's been a while - hair's longer!! The mono has a real Hollywood feel to it!

Not keen on the pose in 4. For me it's more about the fur and the hands with Louise looking away rather than at the camera, with the crop as it is. Maybe a bit too much sclera for me. That said, I'm terrible at keeping hands well posed and like how that's been managed.

Just IMHO so feel free to ignore.

Glad to see more of your portraits again and hope there's more to come

Was this with the Leica/d750?

Always look forward to seeing your stuff Dan.

Love 1 and the last one. It's been a while - hair's longer!! The mono has a real Hollywood feel to it!

Not keen on the pose in 4. For me it's more about the fur and the hands with Louise looking away rather than at the camera, with the crop as it is. Maybe a bit too much sclera for me. That said, I'm terrible at keeping hands well posed and like how that's been managed.

Just IMHO so feel free to ignore.

Glad to see more of your portraits again and hope there's more to come

Was this with the Leica/d750?

Cheers!

Leica sl with 90-280mm

Hi Dan.

These look great to me fella. Biased really as for me colour is all I take. Love number 3 followed by 2 then 1.

Gaz

Great photography, beautiful subject, nicely balanced lighting from different sources. Interesting to see the look away posing, familiar from hollywood images from the 20's etc

Very beautiful !
I prefer the first followed by the third (or fifth, i don't know ...)

All good, but number 1 is delightful, despite it being a tad hot on the neck area, love the engagement with this. I also like the cheeky expression in #2. I think you colour toning is good too.

All brilliant Dan, the 1st is simply stunning though. Have to ask, was it you I noticed on the short list for Outdoor Photographer of the Year, if so did you get any further?

Appreciate comments and feedback given, thanks!

All brilliant Dan, the 1st is simply stunning though. Have to ask, was it you I noticed on the short list for Outdoor Photographer of the Year, if so did you get any further?

If I was no one told me :) don't think so

As per the other thread, lovely images. As mentioned above the tones/colours are really nice.

The posing, colours, and composition all look great.
Am I the only one that finds the round catchlights (is that the right term? The reflection of the light) quite distracting? Maybe because it's not something which we're used to seeing in "real life"?

The posing, colours, and composition all look great.
Am I the only one that finds the round catchlights (is that the right term? The reflection of the light) quite distracting? Maybe because it's not something which we're used to seeing in "real life"?

What would you suggest would make for better catch lights?

Other than a stage spotlight or a sun or a moon or a german flood light in WW2 :D

It's all so subjective really one person's opinion will be different to the next. Photography is even worse

It's all so subjective really one person's opinion will be different to the next. Photography is even worse

I'm still relatively new to portraiture, I'd like to try and be open minded to all suggestions.. I still have much to learn :)

Portraiture is not really my area but this set looks really well crafted to me. All beautiful images.

I'm still relatively new to portraiture, I'd like to try and be open minded to all suggestions.. I still have much to learn :)
I know very little about portraiture, so I'm purely speaking as a "viewer"! A square catchlight looks like the reflection of a window, but I'm not used to seeing round ones - I'd be interested to hear what the experienced guys' opinions are.
But as I said, they're brilliant pictures all round, and the first one is a corker.

I know very little about portraiture, so I'm purely speaking as a "viewer"! A square catchlight looks like the reflection of a window, but I'm not used to seeing round ones - I'd be interested to hear what the experienced guys' opinions are.
But as I said, they're brilliant pictures all round, and the first one is a corker.

Not sure I'd class myself as experienced but round catch lights don't bother me. I'd ideally have them smaller in the eye and less obtrusive on the entire pupil but that's my personal taste!

Not sure I'd class myself as experienced but round catch lights don't bother me. I'd ideally have them smaller in the eye and less obtrusive on the entire pupil but that's my personal taste!

something I'll have to pay more attention to :)

For me, No 3 (rather than 2, which was a typo!) stands out as a luscious portrait- intimately posed, tightly framed, and romantically lit.

Last edited:
Hi Dan,

Just wanted to say really like these, i love no.1 the way the light catches. Fantastic Capture.

Back