love or loath the Neighbours?

Just found out today that we actually do have some cool neighbours! about 7 doors down, a couple in their 30's who have loads in common with myself and partner [or at least us 10 years ago! :D ] , a happy accident really. Had rarely seen them about but last week I called into a bunch of houses on our row inquiring about our missing kitty [has since returned] they stopped me as I passed their house today and asked if we had found the kitten, and just got chatting for ages. Turns out that the guy had played one of the fund raiser gigs for our daughter 11 years ago! it was his first gig [metal band] - they're both into very much the same music [and films] as my partner and I and they seem down to earth so maybe when lock down finally F's off, if ever! we'll see if they'd like a beer'n'tunes session :)

Just found out today that we actually do have some cool neighbours! about 7 doors down, a couple in their 30's who have loads in common with myself and partner [or at least us 10 years ago! :D ] , a happy accident really. Had rarely seen them about but last week I called into a bunch of houses on our row inquiring about our missing kitty [has since returned] they stopped me as I passed their house today and asked if we had found the kitten, and just got chatting for ages. Turns out that the guy had played one of the fund raiser gigs for our daughter 11 years ago! it was his first gig [metal band] - they're both into very much the same music [and films] as my partner and I and they seem down to earth so maybe when lock down finally F's off, if ever! we'll see if they'd like a beer'n'tunes session :)

Good to find you have neighbours with similar interests. Not seen many people around, all keeping safe indoors.

Good to find you have neighbours with similar interests. Not seen many people around, all keeping safe indoors.

Yeah same here really, bar those are still braving it in and out to work. Sadly I got the dreaded news today that there's no work for me from next week on :/

Still drilling, hammering, sawing and a torque driver going next door. Most of yesterday and all day today. We can’t even relax or have a meal in peace and quiet. This is now months of taking the p***.

I’ve just been around to tell them to pack it in and they won’t come to the door, they know it’s me. I’ve checked diy times with the council and its been worthwhile. I’ve printed the times off their website, that’s my next weapon. No work on Sunday (4pm cut off) if work Is going on weekdays/Saturday (5pm cut off).

Still drilling, hammering, sawing and a torque driver going next door. Most of yesterday and all day today. We can’t even relax or have a meal in peace and quiet. This is now months of taking the p***.

I’ve just been around to tell them to pack it in and they won’t come to the door, they know it’s me. I’ve checked diy times with the council and its been worthwhile. I’ve printed the times off their website, that’s my next weapon. No work on Sunday (4pm cut off) if work Is going on weekdays/Saturday (5pm cut off).
Get up at 3am and do the same.....

Get up at 3am and do the same.....
I’ve suggested it but my wife is against the idea.
I’m also favouring the baseball bat method.

The old lady who lived there was great, never any trouble at all and she ended up with dementia and was still no trouble! Unfortunately she went into a home and the kids sold her house to this scum. The laws aren’t strong enough to cure these types of lowlifes.

Friend of mine used to keep his drill with a piece of dowel in it next to his chair to use against the wall when his neighbours used to p him off ...

I actually get on just fine with the neighbours on both sides of my terraced house (which I have lived in for 38 years but only just paid off the final payment on the mortgage). The married couple to my right have lived in their house for 10 years and are kind of younger than me (I'm 54) but are quiet as church mice (heck, they even go to church every Sunday) and we say "hello, how's it going" in passing. The couple to my left who lived in their house for 15 years are - or rather, used to be - vocal as they had a problem son, especially when he turned to drink and drugs the moment he hit the teenage years. However I have been sympathetic to their plight and was always there as someone to talk to, but last year the problem boy has moved to a different town and it's just so much quieter with the remaining couple also being quiet as church mice, heck they're even in bed by 9 pm most days as they are tired from a long working day.
If anything, both sets of people are better than the former elderly couples who were the previous tenants and they were constantly finding faults with me, even though I tried to be as quiet and considerate as possible - but yet were happy to keep asking me to cut their lawn, give them lifts and do errands for them. It was knackering when I was working full time 50 hours in a hot tomato greenhouse, I was glad when they eventually snuffed it!
The real problem I do have with the local area is in the form of a nearby nightclub just around the corner from my house, it had sprung up from nowhere over 20 years ago and since then it's been shouting, fighting, drug dealing, vandalism and god-knows what else every weekend. However, the past year has been absolutely bliss thanks to the COVID situation, so there is a silver lining and I hope and pray that place won't ever re-open again when things does get back to normal.

Last edited:
Back