Critique Loving the studio lights

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
I have to admit that I hated taking portraits and used to love the lonely existence of a landscape photographer, now it's the opposite. It's nice being warm with the camera rather than stuck up a hill at silly o'clock.

DSC04277-Edit.JPG

It's a great set up, take a while to get everything in exactly the right place and leaves you a tiny gap to poke your lens through but definately worth the effort.

Very Martin Schoelleresque, gotta be honest I'm not a big fan of wideish angle closeups or the catchlights this style creates, it's also processed a bit on the cool side for me. That said that's just my taste, it's very well executed.

Very Martin Schoelleresque, gotta be honest I'm not a big fan of wideish angle closeups or the catchlights this style creates, it's also processed a bit on the cool side for me. That said that's just my taste, it's very well executed.

Thanks Craig.

I completely understand what you mean about the catchlights and it took me a long time to warm to the idea of catchlights like this, it almost makes the eyes apear lizard like. and yes it is cool on the processing but I thought that captured the mood more. Pleased that you think it's well executed though.

It's definitely an interesting set-up, it works well for nice even lighting and a signature look. The reflections in the eyes aren't working for me though, my first thought was that your model had weird irises.

The stipboxes were 140cm x 27cm and around 2 feet from the models face. Nice mix of metric and imperial there. I actaully made the catch lights more prominent in post.

I think you've done a good job with the overall capture. I can't quite warm to the catch lights. I have been pondering how different the whole image might look with different catch lights. I guess one could try a hundred different options.

EditEdit.jpg

Great shot, I'm hoping to hone my set up a bit more. My model is not willing to play ball though, I think I will stop paying the mortgage.

I love this so much, I cant even pick out what it is I like so much but my eyes just dart around the image. I agree the catch lights look better left in place.

Studio lights are great! Love this shot. It took me a while to get used to unusual catch lights - you can't please all the people all the time - I often shoot with triangular catch lights!

So now you've got these shots to show folk, it'll be easier to get others to volunteer for you!

Keep them coming!

Shaheed

I think it's the catch lights and wider angle lens which makes the shot tbh. Even love the coolness of it.

Well done Michael.

Great shot, I'm hoping to hone my set up a bit more. My model is not willing to play ball though, I think I will stop paying the mortgage.

I love this so much, I cant even pick out what it is I like so much but my eyes just dart around the image. I agree the catch lights look better left in place.

Studio lights are great! Love this shot. It took me a while to get used to unusual catch lights - you can't please all the people all the time - I often shoot with triangular catch lights!

So now you've got these shots to show folk, it'll be easier to get others to volunteer for you!

Keep them coming!

Shaheed

Thanks guys, means a lot when I get good feedback.

I wonder with the catch lights whether people are slightly negative towards them is because we're used to seeing rings, octas or squares rather than strip boxes?

Personally I'm really pleased how these are coming along and as you say Shaheed it'll make life a little easier getting more volunteers and perhaps paid work further down the line.

Thanks guys, means a lot when I get good feedback.

I wonder with the catch lights whether people are slightly negative towards them is because we're used to seeing rings, octas or squares rather than strip boxes?

Personally I'm really pleased how these are coming along and as you say Shaheed it'll make life a little easier getting more volunteers and perhaps paid work further down the line.

IMG_1486761115.735651.jpg

I enjoy taking portraits through this soft box setup - small strip boxes - giving a characteristic catchlight!

I've also done pics with the octas/square soft boxes too. I like variety. Spice o life!!

I do not care for such symmetrical lighting. It is what might be thought of coming out of a passport.
It also can make pupils look like snakes eyes with vertical slits.

It is the sort of 45 degree lighting one might use for copying documents.

I have to admit that I hated taking portraits and used to love the lonely existence of a landscape photographer, now it's the opposite. It's nice being warm with the camera rather than stuck up a hill at silly o'clock.

View attachment 95528
Ditto on that although I do mostly location shoots but I'm now far from lonely:banana:

I do not care for such symmetrical lighting. It is what might be thought of coming out of a passport.
It also can make pupils look like snakes eyes with vertical slits.

It is the sort of 45 degree lighting one might use for copying documents.

I think you can see by the set up pictures that the lights aren't at 45 degrees but more right in front of the sitter, but I appreciate the honesty. It's not everyone's taste that's for sure.

Back