Low light indoor basketball photography

Kevin Airey -

Yes, the D750 does off a crop mode, so you can use that if necessary for more reach (narrower angle of view - ducks for cover!). I use the crop mode on a D7200, it is a crop body, but crops further still that gives a slightly higher FPS rate, it still produces images at 16mp i think which is more than enough for what I do with them. I have assigned one of the front function buttons to allow me to cycle through the crop option quickly. A small box appears in the view finder showing your available area - not ideal but when you get used to it. Perfectly usable.

Yes, the non-is version. I see no point in spending the huge money for an IS lens if your sole aim is sport shooting as to freeze action, your shutter speeds will be above camera shake issues.

When I do indoor sports, mainly netball, shoot from the corners as well. You're fine at just about any focal length - just work with what you have. If you have a shorter lens, take more action shots at the goal end. As the action comes closer, it may come too close! Then you'l have to stick to midfield action.

As for lens manufactures - in the used market on a budget, the difference between an non-manufacture lens and a manufacture lens is relatively small if you search around. I always prefer the manufacture fast zooms, both Nikon and Canon in my experience AF faster, more accurately and of course you have a better chance of older lenses working on newer bodies.

I use the crop mode on a D7200

When I started this episode of upgrading to a better camera for indoor use that is the camera I first had on my list, what's your feeling with using this, which can be bought at great prices and from what I read the 7500 in some respects is a downgrade?

I'd be interested in seeing peoples photos of indoor sport with the equipment been suggested?

I love my D7200 - I think it's a brilliant all round camera.

I would choose a 7200 over a 7500 - the biggest thing for me is the ability to add a grip - which I have done.

Looking around on the used market, D7200 go for around 600 - which is pretty spicy when I have seen 1D Mkiv's go for similar money. - which is better for sport - however if I was travelling and using the camera as a more general camera, the 1Dmkiv would not be my choice...

Fast, AF lenses from either manufacture are pretty much the same money, there's very little in it.

These are all shot on the D7200 - you will see that I switched to prime lenses - it was my first time shooting at this venue. I think I would be happy to shoot with the 2.8 for a larger dof - I missed a lot of shots at f2. The D7200 with good PP software can shoot and produce acceptable images at iso in the range of 2-2500 imo.

DSC_7384 by RO Photography, on Flickr

DSC_6892 by RO Photography, on Flickr

DSC_5844 by RO Photography, on Flickr

My next indoor event, the results will be better. I am using a proper PP software now and getting to grips with editing the shots - but overall the University are happy with the shots - and that's what counts.

Thanks Kevin.

These are shot on either 80-200 f2.8, 50 f1.8 or 35 f1.8

I want (need ;) ) a 24-70 2.8 - but really there are a lot of options that you could use for sport.

If you aren't in a hurry -drop me a PM with your email address, I'll send you a link to our flickr page and as I have a number of events coming up - I'll let you know what I am shooting and the equipment to give you an idea as to what is what.

I would say 70 - 200 is good for shooting from the corners but 24 - 70 is my mostly used lens for basketball.

Yes totally agree. If your budget is real tight a 50mm 1.8 would serve you well. Focus isn't massively fast but it served me really well when I first started with basketball.

Back