Wild Low light little owl

den

Name
Dennis
Edit My Images
No
Their maybe ocassions when some may say its time to put the camera away,well tonight was nearly one of those.
Tonight was the first time in the last 3 months were the Owl as not turned up in the first two hours from me first going in to the site ,curiosity got the better of me and i went for a walk around ,in doing so i spotted one of the juveniles quite high up in a Oak tree,this i found a bit unusual as the adults are normaly pretty near them ,however i soon spotted the problem about 30m away sat on the wall ..it was a Male peregrine..I am not sure how long the bird stopped as i went back to my hide ,but it was another 1 hour before the Male turned up and this coincided with the light going ,knowing i had no chance of getting some decent flight shots i took a gamble of trying to get head sharp ,the rest i was not concerned about ...Not the best shots i have achieved this year but considering a high iso of 3200 and a slow shutter speed of 1/320 sec i was quite pleased ...
Little owl july 15th (1 of 1)-2 by dennis greenwood, on Flickr

Lovely back lighting :) Errrrmmm ... no further [trolling] comment unless you insist ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: den
Both stunners, well done.

Hi Den, I think that these shots are my fave two of your Little Owl (y)

Maybe I prefer the first one, as I think the flower heads at the bottom slightly draw the eye away from the bird.

Top stuff though :)
Never sure what to do about the long grass stems ,in the past i have done what you may call a bit of gardening but its proved to be a bad move, as it does affect his flight path or more the way he enters it.,,,and when you have set up and spent days looking for the shot its pretty annoying so i do tend to leave things as they are ,i could clone it out ,i am just to lazy with the PP to do it...sometimes it adds to it but i can see were youre coming from,i will just have to keep trying until i get the one with a good clean background ..

There's always going to be two schools of thought over things like the grass stems. One the one hand it puts the owl and its flight line in context, on the other hand it can detract from the aesthetics of that 'perfect' shot. Neither is right or wrong, but if you didn't look again at what seems at first glance to be the perfect shot and think......... hmmm, yes, very nice, but,,,,,,,, there'd be no challenge left :)

Two excellent shots Den. I much prefer the owl in the 2nd shot, better pose and good light through the wings. The background is far better in the 1st shot IMO as the grass heads and the white spots above and below the owls left wing in the 2nd shot are very distracting to me.

Back