Lower league football photography how do i start getting into football togging?

Name
Gareth Jones
Edit My Images
No
Hi there,

First time post on here! i have been reading for the last few days/week about shooting football matches and working to get accreditation for the higher leagues i.e division 2-4 (I'm fairly old thats how i remember then :) ) it seems you have some very knowledgeable people here regarding this and i was hoping they would pop along and add some insight.

I am fairly local to a number of football clubs in the (NCELP) Toolstation northern counties east football leagues and i have contacted the league regarding photographing clubs and if i needed a licence to do so, my reply from them so far is to wait as they need to discuss it at the next meeting on the 22nd of september.

I have not as yet contacted my local club/s if i can come down and shoot the matches, but i also wonder if i have gone the wrong way about this in the first place you know what they say a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous and i think i may have proven that point :/

so my question is after the long ramble is how should i have gone about this?

another question is my gear any good for sports, its all F4 I'm afraid but i have 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 F4 L, 100-400 F4 L mkii

Also if there is anyone in the south yorkshire area who togs at matches would they allow me to come along with them to get some tips/advice etc please get in touch

Thanks craig ill be in touch, however still need to know if i need to be licensed etc :/ waiting on the league getting back in touch with me

Lower than Vanarama I don't think you need a licence. You might consider PL insurance (£50/year or so) and your f/4 kit should be fine in day-time matches until the light goes really low in the winter. You should just get used to what you kit can do and work with it. On the whole, it should be fine. Don't be afraid to use your high ISO if need be.

Thanks for the replies guys!

WHITEROSESOM : i am in Royston

Photodiva, so evening matches what i have is no good then :/ thats a shame i don't mind blasting the iso to a useable level but would have liked to shoot evenings

Not "no good" but certainly "not ideal". Work with what you have. I started with a Canon 20D and a 70-300mm F/4.5-F/5.6. You soon find out where the 'limit' is. Seek out grounds with the best lighting (lower league grounds are not known for good lighting), avoid the ones lit by candles :)

the Toolstation northern counties east football leagues sits at levels 9 and 10 in the pyramid. I shoot currently level 6 and have had three seasons at level 5. Lighting at these levels is OK, mostly. Below that, you can begin to imagine how things go.

Last edited:
I shoot my local team who play in the Evostick 1st div North. I have now become the official team photographer but when I first started I just rocked up. I have never had any issue with photographing games at this level.
Most times you will be the only one shooting. You soon get to know the fans and officials and allowing the clubs to use your images in their programs is good way to get on. I have no ambition to move up to a higher level but good luck in your endevour

Stick stuff on here and get people to critique them. Develop thick skin and get people to be as critical as possible, its sometimes not very easy having someone say "that's not very good at all/bloody rubbish" but you WILL learn from them doing that, you need to be critical of your own work. It helped me hugely. No one dies if you get a verbal kicking ;0)
Read as much as you can on here about techniques and settings and most importantly get out and practice, practice, practice.

so i managed to get to todays game and photograph it, i did contact the club before hand just to make sure and they said it was fine. So i went had an amazing time and they have invited me to come to next weeks game and so on :) happy as larry right now!

so i took a ton of images, bit harder than i thought it would be, i have a ton of peoples backs and people jumping with no ball in the frame lol but i think i got some good uns - am i allowed to post them in here? the sticky says no higher divisions due to dataco but nothing mentioned for lower league stuff

What level was the game you covered? There can only be a problem if you have signed up to an agreement limiting the usage you can make of the pics you took (which is what happens with a DataCo licence, for instance, and which you will be bound by if you cover games in the Premier League and Football League etc). If you haven't restricted yourself in that way the pics are yours and you can use 'em as you think fit.

its the north eastern counties football league, which is way below Dataco licence, i did ask here but i posted up on another thread anyway after a short time

Not much wrong with those, so good work! Suggest you get public liability insurance (about £60.00) or ask the football club to cover you if you are going to stick with one club.

Sorry for not answering you Gareth but I've been really busy and not been on here for a while.
I see you've been to Hemsworth. I'm from Cudworth so only a couple of miles away from you.
You'll be ok at Hemsworth as they're a good team and nice people there.
Have you been anywhere Saturday ??

no hemsworth were away on saturday and i had another engagement at sheffield but next week they should be back home again, your right they are very accommodating at hemsworth and really nice people the only shame is my gear is no good when it starts getting dark so when the clocks go back ill have to sit out until they go to forward again :/

Not "no good" but certainly "not ideal". Work with what you have. I started with a Canon 20D and a 70-300mm F/4.5-F/5.6. You soon find out where the 'limit' is. Seek out grounds with the best lighting (lower league grounds are not known for good lighting), avoid the ones lit by candles :)

the Toolstation northern counties east football leagues sits at levels 9 and 10 in the pyramid. I shoot currently level 6 and have had three seasons at level 5. Lighting at these levels is OK, mostly. Below that, you can begin to imagine how things go.
I'm sure the Northern Counties are also step 5 & 6 in the pyramid system

When the clocks go back in a few weeks time you may just be able to get some shots during the 1st half.
I used to have the same problems when I first started out doing Pontefract Collieries before I got the better equipment. It was very frustrating

I'm sure the Northern Counties are also step 5 & 6 in the pyramid system
- ah, yes, in the non-league pyramid. I shoot at level 2 and previously at level 1. You only need a license for the top 2, but PL insurance is recommended if not obligatory (and sensible) for all levels.

I'm a member. pm me your facebook details and I'll see if I can add you :) Was at Tonbridge Angels for the Dartford FA Cup match. http://photodiva.zenfolio.com/p136106002

Nice one, it was you I spoke to then, when we were taking the mascot pics?

I was going to put you in the spotted a tog section (with the attractive girder coming out of your head!) ;)

:D

Attachments

• DSC_7724.jpg
    DSC_7724.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Nice one, it was you I spoke to then, when we were taking the mascot pics?

I was going to put you in the spotted a tog section (with the attractive girder coming out of your head!) ;)

View attachment 75802

:D

Please don't if you want to join NLOEP! I prefer not to be snapped! It was nice to speak with you, although briefly. A crazy game.

Similar boat here, got some decent kit and lots of lower league clubs around me, but can't really find a market for my images.
I can do Brighouse, Emley, Liversedge, Ossett etc but would like an outlet to send to.

Similar boat here, got some decent kit and lots of lower league clubs around me, but can't really find a market for my images.
I can do Brighouse, Emley, Liversedge, Ossett etc but would like an outlet to send to.

Contact the away teams local paper.. they wont send a photogrpaher any distance.. you only need one or two to bite:) also non league paper

Contact the away teams local paper.. they wont send a photogrpaher any distance.. you only need one or two to bite:) also non league paper

Do you ask them in advance if they're interested in images, or do you just send it off on the day and see if they uses it?

Do you ask them in advance if they're interested in images, or do you just send it off on the day and see if they uses it?

ask in advance.. check fixtures..far off teams wont send anyone so make an offer.. not everyone will want or even reply.. juts dont be discouraged you will get one eventually.. i usualy ask the monday before a sat game.... have a template email ready.. change teams and date.... not even gonna cost more than a minute to do :)

ask in advance.. check fixtures..far off teams wont send anyone so make an offer.. not everyone will want or even reply.. juts dont be discouraged you will get one eventually.. i usualy ask the monday before a sat game.... have a template email ready.. change teams and date.... not even gonna cost more than a minute to do :)
Do you just contact the picture desk of the newspaper or aim for a specific person; editor, sports editor (if there is one), sports reporter?

Thanks

Back