Lr Catalog files Size/workflow?

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Is the Lr catalog files the same size as the raw files associated, i.e if I have 1tb of images the catalog would be 1tb... OR am I Right in saying that the catalog file is actually a lot smaller than the actual images?

I ask because it suddenly accured to me, that I hope what I’m thinking is true, as I have a set up where my OS, programs (like Lr) & the Lr Catalog & preview files are stored on my iMacs internal 512gb internal ssd... but I am putting my actual RAW images files onto a larger external SSD drive straight from the SD card, as iv always been a believer that the internal drive should be left purely for running things. I then also use a couple of protable usb HDD drives to create a backup of the raw files/completed jpgs & the catalog/preview files.

This workflow seem to work, hopefully I have gone down the right route :)

Your assumptions and conclusions are correct. The catalog only contains pointers to the image files loaded in the catalog. Catalog files are stored in a different directory than image files and may be (and often are) stored on separate drives.

I keep my catalog and image files stored on the same external SSD so that I can swap that drive between machines (desktop at home, laptop on the road.)

If you go to the command line on a mac, the du (disk usage) command will show folder sizes. (OSX is built on a unix platform) As you can see, the catalog folder (Lightroom) is a lot smaller than the image folder (Photo).

[523]>$ du -hd1
2.4G ./Lightroom
227G ./Photo

Edit: This is just my live catalog and images. I tend to keep that lean. I keep backups of everything, including images I've removed from the catalog, on a couple of different drives in case of catastrophe on any one drive.

Last edited:
Your assumptions and conclusions are correct. The catalog only contains pointers to the image files loaded in the catalog. Catalog files are stored in a different directory than image files and may be (and often are) stored on separate drives.

I keep my catalog and image files stored on the same external SSD so that I can swap that drive between machines (desktop at home, laptop on the road.)

If you go to the command line on a mac, the du (disk usage) command will show folder sizes. (OSX is built on a unix platform) As you can see, the catalog folder (Lightroom) is a lot smaller than the image folder (Photo).

[523]>$ du -hd1
2.4G ./Lightroom
227G ./Photo
Thank you very much for this & you extended explanation to help me understand, very much appreciated :)

To learn lightroom i have found these two sites very useful

Thank you

Back