LR Edit In PS issue with profiles. Anybody else?

Name
Elliott
Edit My Images
No
My System

Okay so I have a M1 Mac. I have no idea if this is the issue but is seems unlikely. I'll test this tomorrow on my Intel Mac in the office.

I'm running the latest version of LR Classic and PS. The same issue occurs whether or not I run PS under Rosetta or Natively.

The Issue.

I have ColorFidelity Camera Profiles for the Canon R5 and a couple of file emulation profiles. The issue is when I have applied one of these profiles and then Edit In Photoshop, the profile is not taken over to photoshop. This does not seems to happen when applying any of the profiles that ship with LR.

I can export the image to any format. JPG, TIF, PSD and the profile is included but Edit in PS simply does not honour the profile applied if it is a 3rd party profile.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled LR and PS and also the profiles. I've been on live chat with Adobe who are absolutely useless and just keep trying to blame the 3rd party developer. At the end of the day a profile is just a XML file that makes colour changes and they work fine in LR and when exporting the image to any format.

Anybody else having this issue?

If you edit a Raw file in LR then open in an external editor like PS (presumably by Crtl E) the image will be rendered according to the profile set in the LR Basic tab then saved as a file of the format and profile you set in the preferences. I have bespoke calibration profiles for rendering for each camera and these are automatically apply by LR. I set TIFF and Adobe RGB in my edit preferences so that he how it is opened in PS.

There was a relatively recent change which could be affecting you but I did post on this a while ago. My rendering profiles used to be picked up automatically when the files were uploaded but now have to be included in a bespoke preset. I found this out from Adobe.

Dave

If you edit a Raw file in LR then open in an external editor like PS (presumably by Crtl E) the image will be rendered according to the profile set in the LR Basic tab then saved as a file of the format and profile you set in the preferences. I have bespoke calibration profiles for rendering for each camera and these are automatically apply by LR. I set TIFF and Adobe RGB in my edit preferences so that he how it is opened in PS.

There was a relatively recent change which could be affecting you but I did post on this a while ago. My rendering profiles used to be picked up automatically when the files were uploaded but now have to be included in a bespoke preset. I found this out from Adobe.

Dave
I know how it’s meant to work, it just doesn’t work.

I’m not sure exactly how LR handles sending images to PS now. It used to create a tif or psd file (which you could see in LR) and then open that file in PS but now it seem a file is not created immediately and PS says the file type is CR3. The only time a file is created is when you save it in Ps, then your tif or psd is created and dropped back into LR.

Right I've done a bit more testing. This bug is not specific to OS version or Processor architecture. I'm having the same issue on an Intel Based Mac running Mojave and a M1 based Mac running Big Sur.

I've recorded my screen to show the issue. Please take a look and test this on your system.
This seems to be a bug with LR and I suspect this started when they changed the way files are sent to PS when using Edit With PS.

Previously LR would generate a PSD of TIF file and then send that file to PS for editing. Now a file is not generated and when in PS the file extensions reports a .cr2 or .cr3 (raw file format). A file is only generated in LR when the image is saved in PS. You can see in the video when sending the image to Luminar a TIF file is created first and everything works fine.

If you could report below if you are having the same issue then I can point Adobe here.

Anyway, here's the video.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezlyqkAsGMk

There is no problem for W10 but that does not help you. However looking at your video you appear to be setting different "treatment" profiles. These govern how the raw file is rendered but is not the attached profiles for any saved file for which you chose ProPhoto. The "Edit in" works fine for me and immediately renders a bit mapped file using my bespoke profile and creates a 16 bit Tiff file (Adobe RGB as set in my preferences) and opens in PS. It will and should do this irrespective of the Treatment selected.

One reason why I would not now change to a Mac is that some S/W developers (including Adobe) seem to treat producing Mac versions as a secondary requirement and do not give the same priority or support as for Windows.

Dave

There is no problem for W10 but that does not help you. However looking at your video you appear to be setting different "treatment" profiles. These govern how the raw file is rendered but is not the attached profiles for any saved file for which you chose ProPhoto. The "Edit in" works fine for me and immediately renders a bit mapped file using my bespoke profile and creates a 16 bit Tiff file (Adobe RGB as set in my preferences) and opens in PS. It will and should do this irrespective of the Treatment selected.

One reason why I would not now change to a Mac is that some S/W developers (including Adobe) seem to treat producing Mac versions as a secondary requirement and do not give the same priority or support as for Windows.

Dave

This has nothing to do with colour spaces. ProPhoto, Adobe RGB and sRGB are colour spaces not develop profiles. Develop Profiles are essentially LUTS which remap certain colours.
I only included the bit at the beginning of the video showing colour spaces to show people that my colour spaces are correctly set. I'm sending an image with a ProPhoto colour space and PS is set to use the embedded colour space. I did that to avoid replies suggesting to check my colour space settings.

You also won't see an issue if you are using an Adobe supplied Profile (LUT). They seem to work fine.
The issue is only when applying a 3rd party profile so when you say there is no problem in W10, what profile have you applied?

Last edited:
The issue is only when applying a 3rd party profile so when you say there is no problem in W10, what profile have you applied?

My own. My profiles were created using an X-Rite Colour Checker and Adobe Labs DNG profile Editor. I am very pleased how these work as I get accurate colours end to end. One of the profiles is a special IR profile again created for my IR converted EOS 20D using the Adobe DNG profile editor. The problem with IR Raw files is that the WB is normally lower than 2000 which is the lower limit for LR and ACR. This profile adds an offset to correct this so you can edit normally.

Dave

This has nothing to do with colour spaces. ProPhoto, Adobe RGB and sRGB are colour spaces not develop profiles. Develop Profiles are essentially LUTS which remap certain colours.
I only included the bit at the beginning of the video showing colour spaces to show people that my colour spaces are correctly set. I'm sending an image with a ProPhoto colour space and PS is set to use the embedded colour space. I did that to avoid replies suggesting to check my colour space settings.

You also won't see an issue if you are using an Adobe supplied Profile (LUT). They seem to work fine.
Bit OT but may I ask what monitor you use with your M1(thats if its a minimac)? and if so how does the monitor compare to the one on your mac?
thanks

Bit OT but may I ask what monitor you use with your M1(thats if its a minimac)? and if so how does the monitor compare to the one on your mac?
thanks

I went for the Viewsonic VP2785-4K. Was £899 when I bought it but I see it's £790 at the moment on Amazon

It's a lovely monitor with 99% Adobe RGB coverage. The only downside and this will go for any monitor on a M1 at the moment is I can't calibrate it.
The monitor has hardware calibration but the software is not supported on the M1 yet but then again neither is X-Rite or DisplayCal software. Hopefully that will be resolved soon, I guess it's a price we pay for being early adopters. However, the screen is calibrated at the factory so I've just set the screen to Adobe RGB mode and I'm not having any issue with matching prints to my screen output.

The screen just connects to the Mac via USB-C.

I love my 5k iMac but I do like the Matt screen on the Viewsonic.

there is (or was) an option in LR to 'render in' when using ctrl-e. That used to allow you to chose if LR created the file or passed the info to your external editor to do so. I wonder if thats set to allow your editor to create the file and setting it to LR may help. An additional thought are PS and lr using the same version of camera RAW?

Last edited:
Back