LR export settings for commercial print

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys, apologies if this isn't the correct section.

I've prepared and soft-proofed a .tiff for export for commercial print using LR and have also just installed the relevant ICC profiles from the commercial printer.

In the export file/file settings/colour space section I now have the ICC profiles loaded as options (under other) as well as the usual sRGB, adobeRGB?

Do I select the newly installed ICC profile I wish to use or just use either sRGB or adobeRGB? Hope this makes sense...TIA

Attachments

• LR_screengrab.PNG
    LR_screengrab.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 15
If you have anyone with the brain out there just profile for the target and export as Adobe RGB. They should do the rest, and the profiles should be pretty much within aRGB. sRGB frankly should be dead long ago now.

Of course you can export for target ICC, but you still need someone with brain not to convert it to something wrong and select right parameters.

If it will be printed lithographically (which is what I understand commercial printing to mean), it will be converted to CMYK anyway, so why not use the profile they have supplied you with? They will be used to dealing with RGB files. If you're not sure could you ask them directly just be on the safe side?

You use whichever color space the printer is expecting/accepts... many print shops treat all images the same (i.e. they ignore the color space information). Some print shops can accept (and correctly read/interpret) any RGB color space (or CMYK).
A printer/shop that ignores the color space information will generally want the image delivered as sRGB or with their ICC profile.
Edit: for most users sRGB will most closely represent both what the printer and your monitor can reproduce... i.e. you're most likely to get results you expect.

Last edited:
Back