LR Help, I cant find anything!!

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
Firstly I should make it clear that I am OK on an Abacus but lost on a computer so any help offered needs to be in simple terms.

I save my pictures to an external hard drive. A short while ago I suspected my external drive was failing so bought a new one and transferred the images. I know the images are on the new drive and still on the old drive. Additionally I have them backed up - albeit haphazardly on a 3rd hard drive so I know they are not lost.

My problem is my laptop is not finding the images when I plug it in, The hard drive shows a different drive letter to the one that LR is looking for. I have tried assigning the letter LR is showing to the drive permanently but LR does not recognise that letter. On the library panel in LR various drive letters are greyed out but the drive plugged in does not show. There are a few greyed out drive letters where I have had this problem in previous years and fudged my way through it. Opening each of these drive letters up shows folders that have been saved on them with question marks against them. I know this is a problem of my causing but cannot think what I have done and would like some advise before I compound the problem.
LR is not recognising the drive that I suspected was failing either.
My laptop has multiple USB ports and I do not use the same one every time, I don't know if this adds to the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Go to the topmost question mark ( the drive), right click the question mark. That should then give you an option to find the missing drive by using File Explorer or finder on a Mac.
Using the explore locate the replacement drive and the folder your images are stored in. Lightroom should then be aware of the new drive.
The reason for going to the top most question mark is that Lightroom will recognise all of the folders below the top one.

Peter Thank you VM. I followed your instructions which didn't prove to be the total answer as I must have had my head in the clouds when I uploaded some of these. They were (and still are) all over the place, however I now have access to them through LR and have a project now to cull and organise them properly.

Once again thanks for your help, I was totally lost.

Gordon Ford

Reactions: ST1
Back