LR5 doesnt recognise new camera files

I also had this problem when I moved from my 600D to an 80D. I started off with the DNG conversion route, but quickly came to realise that I'd rather do it in one hit and upgraded to LR6. It probably menas that if I upgrade again, I'll have to go down the subscription route. I think the subscription model is worth it if you're a professional shooter. Or if you're a keen amateur who goes out regularly and does a lot of processing.

But for someone like me that may go one or two months without using my camera it is a rip off. If they had a model where you buy the software at it's current stage of development and upgrade when necessary (new camera, new features etc) I'd be more inclined to think it's worthwhile - and actually be more prepared to give them more money on a regular basis.

I also had this problem when I moved from my 600D to an 80D. I started off with the DNG conversion route, but quickly came to realise that I'd rather do it in one hit and upgraded to LR6. It probably menas that if I upgrade again, I'll have to go down the subscription route. I think the subscription model is worth it if you're a professional shooter. Or if you're a keen amateur who goes out regularly and does a lot of processing.

But for someone like me that may go one or two months without using my camera it is a rip off. If they had a model where you buy the software at it's current stage of development and upgrade when necessary (new camera, new features etc) I'd be more inclined to think it's worthwhile - and actually be more prepared to give them more money on a regular basis.
Then they would have to develop multiple formats, SaaS and one off releases which would push the development costs and hence the price up for all. Difficult to develop for everyones needs.

Then they would have to develop multiple formats, SaaS and one off releases which would push the development costs and hence the price up for all. Difficult to develop for everyones needs.

In my perfect world, the model for development would be no different to how it works now. They continue to do rolling releases and you decide when to opt in for an upgrade. My main problem with the current model is this.

As it stands, I can continue to use both camera and software until the end of time with no more money going towards Adobe. If I subscribe or have too new a camera to be able to purchase the perpetual license, once I stop giving them a monthly fee I can't process my pics.

If they end up forcing me into that scenario, I'll end up just using Canon's free DPD software. It's actually pretty decent.

I might just be being a luddite, but it's the same argument I have against spotify, and PCP deals on cars. I'd rather pay for something and own it, and then decide for myself whether I need to/want to/can afford to upgrade.

I think everyone overlooks the fact that Adobe were basically forced into the subscription model by the absolutely enormous amount of piracy their software suffered from. For many years Photoshop was the most pirated piece of software in the world, and I'm sure many people pirated Lightroom as well. If everyone had been honest and paid for their software in the past we might not have the subscription model now.

But, I'm more than happy to pay my £75 a year. The software is regularly updated with new features and improvements, and the cloud syncing between PC and mobile is something I use most days in some form or another. Paying £140 for LR6 is something I cannot get my head around, why would you pay full price for something so out of date and no longer supported?

@Kell I'm the exact opposite to you :D I pay a tenner a month for music subscription and love that I know I can listen to basically any song I want whenever I want. I have a huge library of downloaded albums that I listen to all the time, which would have cost me thousands of pounds to buy outright. And I've leased my car as it's way, way cheaper than buying one.

I think everyone overlooks the fact that Adobe were basically forced into the subscription model by the absolutely enormous amount of piracy their software suffered from. For many years Photoshop was the most pirated piece of software in the world, and I'm sure many people pirated Lightroom as well. If everyone had been honest and paid for their software in the past we might not have the subscription model now.

But, I'm more than happy to pay my £75 a year. The software is regularly updated with new features and improvements, and the cloud syncing between PC and mobile is something I use most days in some form or another. Paying £140 for LR6 is something I cannot get my head around, why would you pay full price for something so out of date and no longer supported?

@Kell I'm the exact opposite to you :D I pay a tenner a month for music subscription and love that I know I can listen to basically any song I want whenever I want. I have a huge library of downloaded albums that I listen to all the time, which would have cost me thousands of pounds to buy outright. And I've leased my car as it's way, way cheaper than buying one.

If you already have LR5, it wouldn't be £140 to upgrade. And when I got my copy, it wasn't two years out of date.

That aside, it's horses for courses in terms of whether you buy in (literally) to the subscription model. I always that that when you buy a physical copy of anything it still retains some intrinsic value. Music, cars, software. I could still sell my copy of LR6 if I decided to move on.

As for music. Well, I have over 1,600 CD albums, plus 450 12" vinyl, 200 vinyl albums and a smattering of 7" vinyl. Yes, it's cost me thousands of pounds (current estimated value on Discogs is between £4,274 and £15,000), but this has been amassed over 30 years. Current price of Spotify over 30 years: £3,600. And I then own all that music and some of it is worth WAY more than I paid for it. Case in point. The original De La Soul album is worth at least £45 and has sold for as much as £250. My original pressing of Dr Dre's 'Nuthin but a G thing is worth anywhere between £27 and £243.

How much is your collection worth? ;-)

Absolutely nothing because I don't own any of it ;) I have a big collection of CDs as well but they're sat in boxes at my parents as I don't have anywhere to put them or anything to play them on.

As you say it's horses for courses, we're all different and the world would be very boring if we were all the same.

Its a model that been around for years since there has been decent domestic bandwidth, instead of having a product delivered on a physical medium have SaaS (Software as a service) the same thing with Spotify etc.

It's just the consumer mind set thats been around since the 50s that we need to own and not "rent"

sweet baby cheeses - I just got a notification for a quote made of a post I made in january 2018...

talk about thread necromancy.

time to unsubscribe to this one I guess...

A quick search suggests that Adobe's rental model has done nothing to stop piracy; CC cracks are readily available. Adobe switched to rentals simply because they could make more money that way. With a near monopoly on high-end image processing, they knew they had a captive audience. Rather than pirates, they were targeting people who skipped paid upgrades because the new features weren't compelling enough. Now, of course, there's no choice, at least from Adobe.

If you already have LR5, it wouldn't be £140 to upgrade. And when I got my copy, it wasn't two years out of date.

That aside, it's horses for courses in terms of whether you buy in (literally) to the subscription model. I always that that when you buy a physical copy of anything it still retains some intrinsic value. Music, cars, software. I could still sell my copy of LR6 if I decided to move on.

As for music. Well, I have over 1,600 CD albums, plus 450 12" vinyl, 200 vinyl albums and a smattering of 7" vinyl. Yes, it's cost me thousands of pounds (current estimated value on Discogs is between £4,274 and £15,000), but this has been amassed over 30 years. Current price of Spotify over 30 years: £3,600. And I then own all that music and some of it is worth WAY more than I paid for it. Case in point. The original De La Soul album is worth at least £45 and has sold for as much as £250. My original pressing of Dr Dre's 'Nuthin but a G thing is worth anywhere between £27 and £243.

I'm with you on this one (maybe not the music choice :giggle:) bought my copy of LR6 as an upgrade to LR3, cost about 60 quid at the time.
Got loads of CD's and about fifty albums, sold about 500 when we moved, just no space for them, got hundreds of books too.
Some of the albums such as Rising, Jailbreak and Born To Run I bought when they came out, so must be about forty or more years old
Got shot of all my footie programmes too, regret that sometimes, some of them dated back to the late sixties when I first went to watch the O's

I like physical stuff I can see and touch especially when it comes to books, no internet, no problem.
To me its very soulless just having a little box to read and listen on, I like seeing photos in print too rather than just on the same little box

Last edited:
Back