Luminar 2018... not ready for prime time...

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I actually like the program and what it can do. But it is very slow and somewhat buggy... I understand the windows version is much worse at this point. They have a trial version now (they didn't when I pre-ordered) and they do offer a 30day refund.
I'll probably keep it and see what improvements they make over the next year along w/ DAM implementation, but I don't think it's really smart money at this point.

Edited in Luminar2018

_SGK2854
by sk66 on Talk Photography

Difficult to say or rather easy to say I prefer #1. 2nd image has lost detail (water droplets) but it is served via flickr whilst 1st image seems to be hosted on talkphotography. Am I missing something?

Difficult to say or rather easy to say I prefer #1. 2nd image has lost detail (water droplets) but it is served via flickr whilst 1st image seems to be hosted on talkphotography. Am I missing something?
Nope, the second image is better on flickr. But it was edited using both LR and PS vs the first that was edited only in Luminar ($69). In both I replaced a rock right behind the wing along the water's edge and I think the Luminar edit looks better than the PS edit (not that I couldn't have done better w/ more effort/time).
The point wasn't to see which can do better really, just that Luminar is quite capable (and more-so than LR)... it's just a shame it's such a slow/buggy mess at the moment.

I tried it the other day and liked the results, perhaps I was lucky or didn't know what to look out for but didn't find it buggy.

My issues (on PC) we're the lack of DAM which as you say is being added free later, but at this point much more that there's only export, no save, so at the moment there's no going back once you exit.

I agree with Steven, it needs more work.

It needs the DAM aspect ASAP but I have been using it more as a plug in.

Speed is certainly a problem along with (on a well specced Mac) the sluggish response to the sliders, for example in LR the image updates in real time as I adjust a slider in Luminar you move the slider release it and then the image updates, this makes accuracy hit and miss and adds extra time.

I have also found it very easy to overdo things (not a problem as like LR it is all non destructive) but again it is adding to the editing time.

Spot removal also seems to need some work to the UI.

I like that you can apply the 'filters' (apart from Raw Develop) on different layers that you can toggle and change the opacity.

As a whole the app does show promise, it just needs some more development (which I am sure will happen)

I have never seen the spinning beach ball in all my time using Mac's as I have the last couple of days w/ Luminar... and the more layers you add up, the worse it seems to get.
I also don't like that the overlying layer's visibility is automatically toggled off and there doesn't seem to be a way to change that... there's no way to adjust a base layer while viewing the overall result.

The other bugs I have experienced are when I apply a preset as a new layer, it doesn't work... the new layer is empty and the previous top layer is overwritten. The only way to make it work right is to create the new "empty layer" first and then apply a preset. And if a saved luminar file has a dodge/burn edit it always seems to re-open wrong... it's weird/bad.

Last edited:
Well, if anyone fancies giving it a go - I found a code today that takes £9 off - UPTO60DEAL

Pretty much my findings too in terms of performance. I've used Luminar since day one of the original version and my main gripe has always been the lag when making real time changes with the sliders. Move a slider and wait a good two seconds to see your changes. Sometimes it's faster, other times longer.

MacPhun/SkyLum seem unable to get enough performance out of the GPU on 5k iMacs where other developers do. Or they simply don't know how/don't see it as a priory. Adobe to their credit, did a great job here. I've mentioned this to MacPhun/Skylum numerous times and each time I'm given assurances that I'll see improvements. I never do.

All other editing software works beautifully on my iMac - slider movements results in instant realtime changes. This is such a key aspect of software like this. As you say, any kind of lag here makes it difficult to judge changes.

Even tried it with a completely fresh OS install.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 M395 2GB
1TB SSD

Speed is certainly a problem along with (on a well specced Mac) the sluggish response to the sliders, for example in LR the image updates in real time as I adjust a slider in Luminar you move the slider release it and then the image updates, this makes accuracy hit and miss and adds extra time.

Massive performance increases with this week's update! Much needed.

Update: On further investigation - laggy sliders are still there for me but not quite as bad as before. Ah well.

Last edited:
I tried it the other day and liked the results, perhaps I was lucky or didn't know what to look out for but didn't find it buggy.

My issues (on PC) we're the lack of DAM which as you say is being added free later, but at this point much more that there's only export, no save, so at the moment there's no going back once you exit.

Mine has a save. Saves as a Luminar file with layers and history.

Yes, on Windows that came out a couple of days ago. Should have been there since very early on.

Back