Luminosity Masking Question Dodge and Burn

Edit My Images
Yes
I have been watching a few tutorials regarding luminosity masking and there appears to be two methods in use - that is if I have understood correctly:

1) Use the dodge and burn tool painted through a mask

2) Have separate layers adjusted for shadow and highlight areas and then paint through the mask to achieve the dodge / burn

Can I please ask from the more experienced on here please which is the better method, or is it is simply like most things in PS different ways of achieving the same objective

TIA

Is this not just local adjustments using masks.

Im no expert but I thought that luminosity masks used a mask where you select the luminosity via the slider to highlight the white end or dark end. any exposure adjustment then only effects the masked area. There is no painting in or out required

C I saw a Thomas Heaton video where he was using it

Just watched that, impressive software, not sure I need it but I certainly want it. Luminosity masking is certainly possible without the plug in, but it's a whole lot more complicated. I've given up on a couple of occasions trying to get my head around it

Is this not just local adjustments using masks.

Im no expert but I thought that luminosity masks used a mask where you select the luminosity via the slider to highlight the white end or dark end. any exposure adjustment then only effects the masked area. There is no painting in or out required
Yes it is but the tutorials all seem to use a brush to finesse the adjustment area

Back