Critique Lumsdale Falls in Derbyshire

Edit My Images
Yes
My son is currently studying photography but feels too embarrassed to post any of his pictures on here.......so I’ve done it for him !!

This one was taken at Lumsdale Falls near Matlock in Derbyshire and was submitted as one of the shots for his summer project. It received good feedback by his assessors but we are looking for your constructive criticism and general thoughts.

Thank you

Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.rackonly.com

Hi Vinny, because you asked so nicely and your son clearly has an eye for a photograph I will offer my ramblings. They may seem harsh and very small details, but that is the point. It's a good photo so it's worth looking at the details.

Main critique, for me it is overexposed. Some of the highlights in the water have turned to pure white and the midpoint of the image is too bright. I feel looking at the highlights in the water that are nearly white and reading the same colour value, this overexposure was done in camera, and the fact there is no black point. Or, if the RAW file shows no clipping in the highlights there is a chance your son has used the white point clicker on the water somewhere, which caused the overexposure in post. If that is the case it can be rectified easily.

Composition is very good. The only thing I would have done differently is separated the rock in the water at the bottom on the left from the green rock on the river bank but moving the camera to the right a fraction.

White balance is pretty good, it is a hair blue by the numbers and for me personally.

Diffraction or slight camera movement over the 2 second exposure has taken the edge of the sharpness at 100%. I can see why he used f/22 for the water movement, but a lens on a crop camera stopped down beyond f/11 really can start to show diffraction, which ends up as softness throughout. The ways round this are to either accept a shorter exposure and less water movement, or to either use a neutral density filter to reduce the light entering the lens or to shoot the image once at f/11 say for the rocks, then again without moving the camera at f/22 for the water and blend them in Photoshop.

Colour profile, great that he is working in Adobe RGB especially if your monitor/s at home support the wider gamut. However for displaying on the web I would recommend converting to sRGB to allow a more accurate representation of colour on other devices, this will stop the image looking washed out on other peoples devices as the colour space for web browsers is only sRGB. (This may also contribute to the feeling the image is overexposed actually).

I include below the jpeg fro flickr with minor levels adjustments only (and converted to sRGB). black and white points adjusted to equalise the blue channel in line with the red and green. Moved the mid point down to 0.80. This is just a suggestion, that for me gives the image more contrast and the feel of a wooded waterfall more.

vinnyvsonsimage by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Thank you Craig for some good constructive criticism and for taking the time to edit the image which looks much better.
Truly appreciated and we have already discussed the issues you have identified..
When James gets some more time he is going to sit down and play with the image again.... it’s only when others mention things that we begin to see, such as the green rock on the bottom left touching the rock in the water and that it was overexposed.
Thank you.

Thank you Craig for some good constructive criticism and for taking the time to edit the image which looks much better.
Truly appreciated and we have already discussed the issues you have identified..
When James gets some more time he is going to sit down and play with the image again.... it’s only when others mention things that we begin to see, such as the green rock on the bottom left touching the rock in the water and that it was overexposed.
Thank you.

No problem, he should not be embarrassed to post images. How old is James by the way? Does he participate in photography as a hobby, or just in the capacity of this course?

I'm preaching to the converted on this forum, but it is such a good hobby to be involved in. The results your son is clearly capable of will be part of it but just getting outdoors and going places like those waterfalls is a life experience that beats sitting around at home for sure!

James is 18 and in his second year of studying Photography. The course is quite intense so he gets little time to simply go out and shoot the things he wants or likes.
I enjoy photography and find myself learning both from and with him and I will try and encourage him to post more pictures himself.

Thank you for the feedback and kind words of reassurance.

Back