Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Luxor Temple Egypt

dsc6774800x600.jpg

Realspeed

Last edited:
Nice shot its A Magical place, were you there for the sound and light show??

No didn't do the light/sound show, saw so many other places instead. We stayed in Cairo for 3 days then flew to Luxor for a 7 day river trip down the nile right up to the aswan dam and back to Luxor to catch the plane home.

Realspeed

Last edited:
No didn't do the light/sound show, saw so many other places instead. We stayed in Cairo for 3 days then flew to Luxor for a 7 day river trip down the nile right up to the aswan dam and back to Luxor to catch the plane home.

Realspeed

Do it next time, its fab, we did similar, but then got on another boat and cruised down lake Nasser to Abu Simbel, no digital back then, but i do have 3 albums of film photos

Nice pic.
You should have done the sound and light show.
We were there earlier in the year and did the show at Abu Simbel --amazing:cool:
Sorry if this hijacks your thread but just had to add this pic;)

abu simbel by M1RVW, on Flickr

Ray

Hijack as much as you like. Took some effort to move that place to a higher ground. We didn't go inside there as from what I understand its just a concrete dome inside. As for light and sound shows we decided to give them a miss

Realspeed

Last edited:
Luxor temple and Abu Simbul are amazing unfortunately i didnt get any decent shots when i went, but seeing the posts here bring back memories. Did particularly well with the Luxor shot to avoid the McDonalds golden arches which is visible from most of the temple

It did take a lot of effort to move Abu Simbul to higher ground but better that than lose it completely. Inside there are 4 statues of ancient gods, and once a year on a holy day (forget which) Light spills down to illuminate the statues, well three of them actually. For years archeologists/scientists thought that the ancient egyptians made a mistake in their calculations hence not illuminating all four, until someone made a breakthrough and realised that one of the statues represented the god of night and darkness and to illuminate him/her would be blasphemy.

The sad thing is that when it was moved, modern man with all our technology miscalculated and now the room is illuminated the day before the actual holy day.

Ray

Hijack as much as you like. Took some effort to move that place to a higher ground. As for light and sound shows we had to give them a miss there as we had to get back to the boat by midday.

[YOUTUBE]i8C7g44rmBk[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry about the wind noise

Realspeed

Last edited:
Lovely image!
Egypt is such a photogenic place. The wife and I love it there. I'm dying to go back with my camera.

Great work (y)

Bazza,
When we went to Abu Simbel they normally had 9000 visitors a day.
The day we were there there was about 100 people in the morning and roughly the same for the light show.
In the afternoon I went to the temple with a friend and we were the only two people there apart from the temple guard:shrug:
This meant we could sit and absorb all of the atomosphere without being pushed and shoved. Also managed to get some good shots outside without the inevitable tourist blocking the view :LOL:

we went in a convoy of about 100 coaches and minibuses travelling for 3 hours at 100kph because they were afraid of a Lebanese attack, rather exciting. Travelled there of which 2 hours where at night (very early morning) with armed guards on the coaches .

Realspeed

Last edited:
Most definitely not just a concrete dome inside, the really clever bit about moving the temple was that the inside was hewn out of the living rock and later reassembled inside the concrete dome, the same went for Nefertari's temple too:

Abu.jpg

Abu2.jpg

Abu3.jpg

Abu4.jpg

I went by air from Aswan - a 20 minute flight on a scary old Ukranian-registered Boeing 727

Abu5.jpg

Thought I would add this as there doesn't seem to be a suitable thread to put it on.

[YOUTUBE]m32-9QEYrsg[/YOUTUBE]

Who loves ya baby

Have to say it was one of the best holidays ever, Egypt is a truly amazing country

Realspeed

Last edited:
Back