Lyrids and the Milky Way Core - East Devon

jfb

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
A set of shots taken Friday night and early Saturday morning, so a couple of days before the peak of the Lyrids. I started the shoot at Budleigh Salterton, arriving at the mouth of the River Otter at around 12:30...

The Milky Way was visible running abover the sandstone cliffs.

JFBX8131.jpg

We then moved across to Orcombe Point, Exmouth - these are the steps down to Orcombe Rocks, with quite a nice view of the core on the horizon

006-JFBX8136---Milky-Way-Core---Orcombe-Rocks---Exmouth-wide.jpg

Climbing back up the steps we then did some shot of the Geoneedle, This one has a meteor trying to photobomb the top of the shot

004-JFBX8179-Lyrid-Meteor-Orcombe-Point---GeoNeedle---Exmouth.jpg

This was the final shot which was picked up and used in The Telegraph and used as one of their pictures of the Day, a composite of 3 images. The Geoneedle marks the start of the Jurassic coast which runs from Exmouth to Old Harry Rocks near Swanage

Telegraph POTD 22 April 18.jpg

Finally home at 6:00 & time for bed - I must admit I am getting too old for this. A grand evening, with some awesome conditions...

Nice one(s), John.

Could do with some clear skies for the next few nights... :(

Reactions: jfb
Nice one(s), John.
Could do with some clear skies for the next few nights... :(
I really thought I was going to miss this window. I have recently started working full time and it seriously impacts on the ability to do this - the problem is getting the core, ok it’s there at 2:00 but it’s not really usable e.g. erect until 3:00 - which hurts when you have to go to work, think & engage :) Moon is starting to be a pain as it gets brighter and is in the sky longer - you only really get about a week window per month :)

IMG_4963.jpg

Last edited:
Anything after 10 is all but impossible for me these days - I'm fading by 8 and usually asleep by 10! Except on holiday when my body clock stays pretty much on UK time but local is 2 hours ahead. I really should check on Moon phases in early September since that's when we'll be in the South of Europe (pretty much as far South as you can get) with no light pollution for a few hundred miles to the South.

Back