North England Lytham St annes

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Most likely going to visit on Friday for a day out with the family , it's my wife's birthday, but of course I can't go without taking the camera along. Is there anything of interest in the area or the town itself that would would make particularly good subjects?
Also is there much in the town shop wise?

St. Annes pier, Lytham Windmill, Ribble estuary ... the seafront is basically all sand dunes between St. Annes and Blackpool. Royal Lytham golf course (holding the Ladies Open this week) ...

Not really into shopping, but there are lots of boutique type shops, some very good coffee houses, pubs and restaurants.

There is the old pier. Out on the sands and detached from everything.
You can get on top with a bit of effort.
High tide on Friday is approx 4PM. Don't get caught out, but I've long had an inkling to do a shot with water lapping round it.

The old jetty
by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

The pier at sunset
by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

View attachment 131434

Thanks for that, I shall put the befree and my 10stop nd just incase.

St. Annes pier, Lytham Windmill, Ribble estuary ... the seafront is basically all sand dunes between St. Annes and Blackpool. Royal Lytham golf course (holding the Ladies Open this week) ...

Not really into shopping, but there are lots of boutique type shops, some very good coffee houses, pubs and restaurants.

Thanks, plenty of sand should help keep the children happy! I may be able to find something nice for my wife as well (well I hope I can :) )

It’s worth noting that the towns of Lytham and St Anne’s are separate and are about 3 or 4 miles away from each other, so whilst it is feasible to walk from one to the other, it’s not a quick stroll. It’s worth visiting both, but personally I find St Anne’s to have more interest to me as a photographer with its beach, beach huts and pier.

It’s worth noting that the towns of Lytham and St Anne’s are separate and are about 3 or 4 miles away from each other, so whilst it is feasible to walk from one to the other, it’s not a quick stroll. It’s worth visiting both, but personally I find St Anne’s to have more interest to me as a photographer with its beach, beach huts and pier.

Thanks Craig, I didn't actually realise they were 2 separate towns.

While I think about it, what is the car parking situation there, any car parks to aim for?

Last edited:
Thanks Craig, I didn't actually realise they were 2 separate towns.

While I think about it, what is the car parking situation there, any car parks to aim for?

There are pay & display car parks but parking for free is pretty easy in both Lytham and St Anne’s in the surrounding residential streets as long as you avoid the permit holder only areas. In Lytham I usually park on Westby Street at the far end and it’s less than 5 minutes to walk into the town centre.

If you walk north from the windmill there is a replica spitfire (full sized) by the boating lake.

A good sky is helpful - it's very flat land.

Favourite place for Christmas walks.

Lytham St Annes windmill - rainy boxing day by Stephen.Palmer, o

n Flickr

Thanks Steve, this trip has been put on hold at the moment, m6 was causing long delays making it virtually 3hr 10 minutes instead of just over 2. I shall bear these in mind for when we get round to going (y)

Back